Kentucky Caving: Dead?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Re: Kentucky Caving: Dead?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Sep 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Roppelcaver wrote:No, project cavers don't own the cave, as you point out, but project cavers may act like they do... Years and years of investment in a project creates these feeling of ownership. That is just human nature. That is why cavers buy these entrances... I have seen where sport trips have messed up some fairly sensitive stuff (even after I advised that visitation to this spot should be limited severely in this case).

I understand feelings of ownership, and think it's a good idea to limit visitation to sensitive areas. We dug into a decorated passage in a VA cave earlier this year, and I worry all the time that someone might get in there and damage it, or push into the ongoing lead before we can get back. It's not my cave, but I don't want anyone else in there.
Thanks for clarifying your position on the acceptance of new help for your project. Y'all sound more open than I may be.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

I will say that the sport trip I was on we were limited by our leader where we could go. There was an area I had heard was real nice and wanted to go but the leader said it was off limits to sport trips . If it is sensitive to heavy traffic , I understand and accept that. I was told the owner was VERY particular and we were told to stay on established trials . I did get to see some nice stuff and was thankful to see what I did. At my age and with bad knee's my days of long hard core trips are in my rear view mirror. I certainly am no threat to anyone's far off project. As hot as the cave was ( at least the part I was in) I could not imagine going at a pace one has to travel to remote area's to start survey. Blue Spring TN is the same way. I had sweat dripping off my head at the bottom of the ladders. I am on FB with some FRCS guys and likely could weasel my way in if I wanted to but I know those long trips are no longer for me. Sucks getting old.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby caver.adam » Oct 3, 2013 1:14 pm

There are a lot of people active in Kentucky. However, in my experience there are only a few groups that are both active and public. Most of those are around the Mammoth system and you can get involved through the CRF. As for the rest, they seem to move slow or to be "owned" by a group of people that doesn't seek outside help. There are a LOT of unmapped caves in Kentucky, and a lot of caves which don't have complete maps.

I wish I could point you to some people working projects, but the few I know of are currently moving slowly because the participants are busy with other business currently.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Oct 3, 2013 1:17 pm

As for remote areas, there was one point where we had to carry traditional climbing gear for 4 hours to climb a dome to explore an unknown lead. Only 30 feet of passage at the top after all that, but quite beautiful. Long trips can be very rewarding, or very challenging.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 3, 2013 9:51 pm

caver.adam wrote:There are a LOT of unmapped caves in Kentucky, and a lot of caves which don't have complete maps.
...I wish I could point you to some people working projects, but the few I know of are currently moving slowly because the participants are busy with other business currently.

How about pointing me to some of those unmapped caves instead. Send me a bland little cave or two. I think you have my email. We might not be good enough for the high profile projects, but we can clean up crap leads or tiny caves no one else wants to waste time on. I still hope to join KSS and do some ridgewalking in eastern KY. Hopefully I'll be sending in some data.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Oct 14, 2013 11:03 am

Unfortunately, I don't have anything I've discovered myself. So I can't share without breaking someone's trust in me.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum