Gatlinburg Tennessee

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Gatlinburg Tennessee

Postby meganvogt » May 25, 2013 4:12 am

Hi my name is Megan. I've been caving since I was a young kid and have a lot of experience with it all throughout West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but haven't been able to travel much further than this general area. I'm taking a trip to Gatlinburg Tennessee and trying to take my group into some caves in the area. Can anyone help me?
meganvogt
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Re: Gatlinburg Tennessee

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Hey Megan! It's great to see you have finally joined Cavechat! Welcome! You will find many helpful individuals here and hopefully some who live near Gatlinburg, TN for this specific question.

I just wanted to welcome you and also let everyone else know that I have personally caved with Megan and several of her crew! She and the majority of her crew have been trained by the Baltimore Grotto, as well as others, and they abide by all NSS standards in cave safety, etc. She is also a caring individual and doesnt mind going where she needs to go to get to a cave legally! She's a true caver in my definition and I would like to see her get some assistance from those of you who live near Gatlinburg, TN or know how she can get access to some caves down that way!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: Gatlinburg Tennessee

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Morrill Cave in Sullivan County is a very large cave and, to the best of my knowledge, it is still open. That would be on your way to Gatlinburg.

You can find out more on the Tennessee State Natural Area website.

The State can't close this one, because they do not OWN it. Hee, hee, hee.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum