Norman Cave

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Norman Cave

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

I took a quick Norman trip a couple of weekends ago with my wife and brother. We saw most of Upper Norman and then jumped in the streamway for a while. A bit downstream, we climbed back into some upper level rimstone and canyon passages for a while before running out of time. We found a few little things to push in an attempt to get off map, one successfully.

Inspired by Ed McCarthy we put my $15 pawnshop camera to work recreating the 2012 Convention Guidebook cover, from what turned out to be the entirely wrong angle. *

I'm planning to visit again in the future. I have a non-caver freind who doesn't live too far away and Norman seems like an easy, interesting cave for a beginner.

Questions: Other than the obvious GWW, are there other sections of the cave do you reccomend? The WV Passage looks like a continuation of the GWW passage, is it impossible to connect them? They look pretty close. What is the extreme southeast portion of Norman like? Is it dry and dusty like Bone? We went through the pinch from the Bone side a couple of days earlier and I hated the dust. Is SE Norman as well traveled as the rest of the cave? Thanks folks.

*Helmets were used by all in our party. Some helmets were removed to cool down at the time this "photograph" was taken.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Norman Cave

Postby nathanroser » Mar 23, 2013 11:24 pm

The GWW ends in a mud choke and would likely connect to WV Passage with digging. I've seen the GWW to the end but never been to WV Passage. I'd imagine the formations in GWW are a result of the airflow patterns and digging open a connection and changing the airflow would not be the best idea, though it looks like it would make a blazing fast through trip route.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: Norman Cave

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks Nathan, that's good info. I don't want to do any digging if there's a complete plug, I just thought it may be a "too tight" connection that could be pushed by lilliputians.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum