Caving in South Pittsburgh area

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Caving in South Pittsburgh area

Postby Stopher » Mar 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Next month my family and I will be getting together in South Pittsburgh to visit for the weekend. One day my brother in laws and I will be going to South Pittsburgh Pit while the other adults take the kids to White Side. So my question is... for the second day what would be a good caving trip for everyone. Id love to see Cedar Ridge but understand that it is gated. I'm a Tennessee Cave Survey member and my brother in law is a SCCI member so we aren't looking for locations... Just suggestions.. thanks in advance!!!
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Re: Caving in South Pittsburgh area

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 22, 2013 7:19 am

Bluff River would be a good choice. It's in Stevenson, Alabama which is not far from South Pittsburg. Are y'all staying in a hotel or camping? One of our Sewanee Mountain Grotto members has a campground not very far from South Pittsburg, http://www.caversparadise.com. The grotto also has a key to Cedar Ridge. OH and FYI, Whiteside Cave has been confirmed WNS positive.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Stopher » Mar 22, 2013 10:12 am

That figures about White Side.. Showed the kids pics on flickr of kids playing in it. Do you have a recommendation for a cave for kids similiar to White Side??
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

You should be fine still going to Whiteside, just wanted to give you a heads up in case you see any affected bats. From what I understand there was no large mortality there just bats showing the typical white noses. WNS is everywhere in Tennessee now.

Depending on the kids skill levels some alternative options would be:

Hermit Cave - I led a group of 5 kids ranging from 7-15 and they all did fine but there are some climb ups and chimneys. You will need to check in with Leann or Roy at the house to get permission.

Bible Springs - although this is a wet cave, probably best more for Summer.

Cedar Ridge - I can arrange a key for you.

Howards Waterfall Cave - not far in Trenton , Georgia.

Bluff River Cave - not far in Stevenson, Alabama.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stopher » Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the info. Was also looking at water works... if anything to just see waterfall outside.. the pics Ive seen online are great.
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby Stopher » Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am

Wow... Thanks for the info Undergroundearth.... But I cant believe that no one else has any suggestions..lol
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 25, 2013 11:15 am

As far as kid friendly and for beginners, there really are not a lot of choices with easy access in the area. There are hundreds of caves in Marion County but the majority of them are not so easy to get to especially with kiddos.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Myrna Attaway » Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I was just going too but she did such a good job i didnt see the need. There are a coupe on Charlie Smiths property, but they take some prior arrangements.
Myrna Attaway
Frequent Poster

Postby Stopher » Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Can a person get to Waterworks Cave in a regular car or is a truck or off road vehicle required???
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Last time I was at Waterworks you can get to it by car. It does have two short rope drops. Beautiful entrance sink and not far from the road. Limrock Blowing Hole is also a cave kids can go to and is owned by The SCCI. It is not in the immediate area of South Pittsburg . It is closer to Scottsboro. Be careful in wet weather , I do not live in the area but I hear the area is saturated now.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Stopher » Mar 27, 2013 10:09 am

Cody JW wrote:Last time I was at Waterworks you can get to it by car. It does have two short rope drops. Beautiful entrance sink and not far from the road. Limrock Blowing Hole is also a cave kids can go to and is owned by The SCCI. It is not in the immediate area of South Pittsburg . It is closer to Scottsboro. Be careful in wet weather , I do not live in the area but I hear the area is saturated now.

Thanks for the info..will look into it
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 27, 2013 11:52 am

PM me if you need specific info. I will be happy to help however I can.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Stopher » Apr 16, 2013 10:14 am

Ok so here is a list of caves Ive come up with for our 3 day weekend in South Pittsburg.

1. South Pittsburg Pit. Not dropping in it just taking shots of entrance(repelling buddy bailed)
2. Whiteside. For the Kids.
3. Eygpt Hollow?? Not sure of access or ownership.
4. Gourdneck.
5. Honeycutt Cave?? Once again not sure of access or ownership but would love to see waterfall room.
6. Waterworks Cave?? As long as it can be gotten to without tearing up a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
7. Cedar Ridge Crystal Cave.
8. Nickajack Cave?? Time permiting and canoe rental can be found.. assuming view from boardwalk is a bad as I think it would be.

So any helpful info would be great. Info on caves listed. Info on caves or other things(mills, waterfalls, historic) in the area that shouldnt be missed... Thanks.
Stopher
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Apr 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Honeycutt Cave is CLOSED, please do not go there. The landowners get really upset. The cave is also used as a local water source so they do not want cavers going in. Honeycutt Pit is also closed.

The view isn't bad from the boardwalk for Nickajack Cave, it's not worth the extra trouble to rent a boat to see it. You can walk right up to it. If the park gate is closed you can park outside of it on the side of the road, but it should already be open this time of year.

If you are just taking photos of an entrance, I'd recommend Cagle's over South Pittsburg Pit for pictures. Cagles is much larger and you can see more of the pit (safely) than you can at South Pittsburg.

You should be fine getting to Waterworks, i've taken my car there several times.

Foster Falls is also not far and would be worth visiting. You can access from heading north on 41 from downtown Jasper.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Apr 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Something else worth checking out is Lula Falls on top of Lookout Mountain, about 45 minutes from South Pittsburg area. It is only open the first and last Saturday of each month. You will not find a lot of information about it as it is a land trust along Rock Creek. There are no paved parking lots, facilities, etc... There is a really nice waterfall that is about 90 feet tall. There are hiking trails too.

UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum