Guided caving?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Re: Guided caving?

Postby Myrna Attaway » Oct 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Speaking of hollywood movies....rock climbing techniques, except for bolting (which is rare) are not used in caving and
We dont kill injured friends.
Myrna Attaway
Frequent Poster

Postby LukeM » Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am

You can stand behind me in a cave all you like. The fact is, even if I'm trying to dispatch a horde of blood thirsty gollums I probably won't have an ice axe on hand to drive into your jugular by accident.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Shane S » Jul 24, 2013 10:32 am

From what I understand none of The Descent was filmed in a real cave. Parts of the Sanctum were but still very Hollywood. The Sanctum is a little bit more realistic than The Descent but still very Hollywood-ized. A wild caving tour would give you a taste of what you are looking for but most wouldn't give you ascending or descending. I would suggest a wild cave tour and if you want to grow on that go and join a local grotto and get vertical training. Most caves are explored by ascending and descending devices and I've seen little to no belaying type climbs. Haven't saw the use of quickdraws or jams cams nuts as you would see in traditional climbing. Most domes and pits have been worn so slick and smooth by water there wouldn't be adequate footings or places to set nuts. The closest I’ve seen to this is bolting.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Previous

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum