Going to Borneo... anyone have contacts there?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Going to Borneo... anyone have contacts there?

Postby glowbug » Sep 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I worked my butt off this Summer to be able to join the lab group I just started working with at Georgia Tech in Borneo for a month starting in mid-October. I am really stoked about going (what caver wouldn't be?!?), but none of the group are *cavers* and it is mostly just a research trip - (although they have been going there every 2 or 3 years pretty regularly and are very conscientious of the cave environments). I might get a few days in which I can explore a bit more - anyone have any contacts in Borneo (Mulu National Park, I can't really leave the park except the last 2 days of my trip when I will be in Kota Kinabalu trying to find someone to hike up a mountain with me)??? Even if you have caver contacts in Malaysia that are retired/work from home and would like to join me for a day, that would be awesome...

This might be a stupid question but is there anything vertical in Borneo or should I just leave that gear at home?

Because I know someone will ask, the lab is doing paleoclimate research. I am specifically doing a project that is more related to airflow dynamics using an air velocity sensor, some temperature/humidity sensors and a pressure sensor and correlating that with drip rates. I am not sure how things will turn out yet; I am still working on the sensors.

If anyone has any words of wisdom about Borneo or Malaysia please share :)

Thanks!
glowbug
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63434
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Going to Borneo... anyone have contacts there?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I haven't been there, so I have no words of wisdom. But I am totally stoked FOR you! That's awesome! Super duper. I wanna come, too.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Going to Borneo... anyone have contacts there?

Postby Lava » Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Get in touch with Bian at the park office - he can take you on a tour of Sarawak Chamber like he did me. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14194&p=122256
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum