The Swazi-Swedish Gobholo Cave Expedition 2012

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

The Swazi-Swedish Gobholo Cave Expedition 2012

Postby Johannes » Aug 7, 2012 2:27 am

Hi all! This years perhaps most unlikely (and one of the smallest) caving expeditions is closing up to its final days. Me and Manuela went to Swaziland, a southern Africa country "of no speleological interest" according to one source, for a three week caving recon-trip exploring the granitic boulder cave Gobholo cave. We are invited, sponsored and cooperating with Swazi Trails, a tourist company offering guided tours in Gobholo cave. The cave has potential to make it to the top positions of the longest boulder caves in the world, but so far we only managed to survey some 360 meters (but two more caving days will add some more), and also sample speleothems and cave life for later investigations, as well as briefly walk the surface. We have an irregularly updated blog that you are welcome to follow at http://gobholocave.wordpress.com/, as well as an unsorted flickr-set with a diversity of photos.

Cheers, Johannes
Johannes Lundberg
Stockholm, Sweden
www.johanneslundberg.se
www.speleo.se
Johannes
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 35146

Re: The Swazi-Swedish Gobholo Cave Expedition 2012

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 7, 2012 6:15 am

Hi, Welcome to Cavechat! Thanks for posting about your expedition. I took a quick glance at your Flickr photos (I'm addicted to Flickr) and will spend more time later when I'm not in such hurry.

Glad you're having a good trip and best wishes for a successful wrap up. Sorry I didn't have any immediate ideas on your other post.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Johannes » Aug 9, 2012 11:28 am

Many thanks for the welcome Squirrel Girl! :) (I've been lurking here since... öhhh, 2006, so it's about time to be active I guess...) Last trip to the cave was yesterday, no more mapping the last two trips, but some more samples of cave life and speleothems, and many more photos (will be on flickr later!); we also found a new smaller cave, plus several still unexplored entrances further up in the valley we think will lead down to the cave. So we have work for many more years! I've already started to plan next(?) years expedition! :) More updates to come at the blog! (Today: rhinos, hippos, zebras and giraffes, and a lot of antelopes to add to that. And hartwogs. And marabou storks. :)

Cheers, Johannes
Johannes Lundberg
Stockholm, Sweden
www.johanneslundberg.se
www.speleo.se
Johannes
Infrequent Poster

Postby Johannes » Aug 12, 2012 12:11 pm

We are now back from dry and sunny winter in Swaziland to wet and not-so-sunny summer in Sweden (less dust! no grass/bush-fires!). The blog will soon be updated with a summary of this very first expedition/recontrip to this small southern African country, and we will also from time to time update it with thematic posts on what we have found and done there.

Cheers, Johannes :waving:
Johannes Lundberg
Stockholm, Sweden
www.johanneslundberg.se
www.speleo.se
Johannes
Infrequent Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum