The walls are closing in...

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

The walls are closing in...

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am

Explored a nice size phreatic maze cave a few days ago, with a team of 4 including myself. We probed far into the dry dusty passages, about 3/4 of a mile in from the entrance. Being a phreatic tube maze cave, there were plenty of awkward zbends, tight chest compressor sideways crawls, upward hands first squeezes and other very tough time and skin consuming obstacles.

Being the skinniest in the squad may have a downfall. I brought the team to a large room far back where we split and a team of two, myself and another, proceeded further. We chimneyed above a 50' fissure, squeezed sideways some more past large groups of popcorn and sharp rimstone. After a barrage of left and rights, we arrived at the room I terminated my last exploration. It was an arms first upward chest compressor I could just about make, so I wanted a backup to be able to push/pull if I became a bit stuck. After about a 10 minute struggle I was up through the squeeze, only to find my buddy was unable to follow behind. I pushed on a bit, knowing I had made it past the one section that had defeated me before (last time my caving buddy was so large he couldn't make it even near the last area). So on I went until I hit another tight tube. Seemed too tight, especially with noone from my team able to access me for help. So 30 feet from my last defeat, I was defeated again by a tube with an 'out' arrow carved where I attempted to enter. Frustrating.

Seeing those thoughtless carved arrows made me angry, but probably more so because I know whoever that inconsiderate person was had explored further than me. I don't know what to do to push the explore any further. The floor was dirt, so digging may be an option. Dumping space is a problem. But THE AIR!! I know the cave has much more passage than we've seen.

Knowing there is more passage means I am not finished. Not until I recruit a toddler to push these small passages.

This is more of an SOS distress call. Any skinny cavers who pride themselves on squeezes and might be in the vicinity of CO, PM ME!
Let's go scoop.
:waving:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Re: The walls are closing in...

Postby tncaver » Jul 17, 2012 7:31 pm

DIG!!! If it is an easy dirt dig it will ensure your success and also help with any rescue that could be needed (but hopefully never needed).
Last edited by tncaver on Jul 18, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

I just need someone to even be in the area with me when I do. The passages are so tight it's hard to imagine a good place to put dirt. But I am positive there is a way. I recently met some very skinny girls who seem pretty enthused. Double whammy.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby tncaver » Jul 18, 2012 10:39 am

I agree you need someone with you whenever you dig. Skinny chicks who like to dig are a plus too. :clap:
I have a couple ideas for you that might help in a confined space but these ideas do require helpers.

#1. Make a collapsable bucket out of canvass or cordura nylon. Put metal eyelets in the top edge to reinforce the material.
Tie too small diameter ropes (one on each side) in a way that will also hold the top of the bucket shut. This will allow you
to fill the bucket and then someone can pull it out to empty it. The second small rope will allow you to pull it back in so
that you can refill it with dirt. My friend Andy Gardner of Nashville thought of this idea and gave me a canvass bucket like that for digging. Because the bucket is flexible, it can fit in small spaces and flex as necessary even around corners as it is pulled in and out of a dig.

#2. This idea was created by Nashville area caver Bernie. He built a small wagon on wooden wheels with a rope tied to each
end. This idea works good when it is a straight line in and out of the dig. It can also be used to haul out rocks in tight places
so long as there is a straight shot in and out.

I hope those ideas will help some.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum