Rusty's Cave 1/23/2012 - Trip Report

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Rusty's Cave 1/23/2012 - Trip Report

Postby Yahtaa » Jan 26, 2012 2:33 pm

(Looking up at Rusty's entrance drop)

We arrived at the new Fox Mountain parking area around 5pm and did the uphill hike to the cave entrance. SCCI has done a great job restoring the hiking trail since the tornados swept through and decimated the forest on Fox Mountain. Six of us arrived at the drop entrance, and based on the SCCI website we were expecting a 20' drop, but after inspecting the entrance and dropping the 50' rope we brought, it was clear that the drop was easily 40'-47' feet. After a knot for the bolt/carabiner and a stopper at the bottom there was only about 2' of rope laying on the cave floor. I dropped first, followed by two others in the group. We had some newer vertical cavers with us who weren't comfortable with the drop, so I bounced back up the rope to try and assauge some fears and walk them through the process of what we were doing. Those three up top ultimately decided that it wasn't the day for them to drop this entrance. So they watched me drop and headed back to their car.

After a short walk through some stream the cave opened up into a large room full of great formation, which we wondered around in for quite a while admiring everything.

(Formations!)

(MORE AWESOMENESS!)

(Tony posing in front of formations.)

The cave slowly worked its way back to smaller stream passages. Toward the back end of the cave there was a great ceiling waterfall that was pouring because of heavy rains the day before. The cave slowly got tighter and tighter, and we could have possibly gone a bit further back into the cave, but we weren't in the mood to crawl through the higher water. Got back to the entrance, bounced out.

(April waiting to get on rope, to exit.)

This cave is beautiful, and somewhat of a workout to boot. Can say I've not been to any caves i've not explored before in a while, but this was a great refresher. Loved that "new cave" feeling! :cavingrocks:
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
"Quench and squelch! You'll get through that hole."
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Name: Derrick Mull
NSS #: 63556

Re: Rusty's Cave 1/23/2012 - Trip Report

Postby trogman » Jan 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks for the great trip report and photos. Rusty's was my first vertical cave, and I have fond memories of it.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Yahtaa » Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I'll be going back soon to help train up some more of the group. Took us a hot minute to find the cave, we ran all over Fox Mtn and apparently wasn't paying attention because we passed right over it during our scouting trip. Someone found it on the walk back to the car during dusk.

We did find a cave on the far side of the mountain near the trail, had two entrances, side by side. I can't identify it. Looked at some pictures of what should be byers, and the sunbeam hurricane entrance. Not sure though. Would love to know if anyone has the name.
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 26, 2012 4:58 pm

cool, we were just there Saturday before you. The water was really moving in there too. I had only been there during drought, so it was a surprise to see the water pouring in from everywhere.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am

It looks as if neither of the folks in the pictures have on helmets...

"Safety is critical in caving, it is a core value of the NSS, and a key component of our caving culture. As an organization, we embrace safe caving as the only way to explore caves."

A helmet can save your life. I have been on a vertical trip before where a softball sized rock fell 40 feet from the top of a pit and hit another caver right on top of his helmet. Even with a helmet on, the hit still brought him to his knees and he was jolted pretty bad. It left a mark and if it had not been for his helmet he may not be alive today.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Yahtaa » Jan 27, 2012 9:34 am

Helmets were in use. The girl photographed had removed hers while taking a break after returning to the entrance. Tony is obviously wearing a helmet... unless he grew a huge fro that is allowing his headlamp to sit so high above his fully exposed forehead. Two modified bike helmets and my black diamond half dome.
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum