Roppel. 10 Ladies. 25 hours.

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Roppel. 10 Ladies. 25 hours.

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Well you'll have to wait for the article to be done (we plan on submitting to the NSS News) to read about it. But it was a blast, and I've never caved with a better group of people or had that much fun on a trip. Or done so much! We covered a LOT of ground for only 25 hours, and were caving for all but about 7 hours of that. You could definitely say I loved my first overnight cave trip!

I thought I would entice with a few photos though =)

Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Roppel. 10 Ladies. 25 hours.

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Awesome! Great pics! Can't wait for the report.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cavernuke » Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Any trip with Shelly is a good trip.
Cavernuke
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56251
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wisconsin Speleological Society

Postby Cody JW » Oct 24, 2011 8:23 pm

I hope you girls behaved yourselves .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby MUD » Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Nuke is right! I did a Roppel trip with Shelly and had a wonderful time. Linda can't get that cave out of her head Amy. She certainly had a wonderful trip also! It sounds like y'all had a great trip. Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I loved caving with Linda! She's amazing :D She wanted that heart photo - she mentioned your internet being dialup though so sending the full size is gonna be a pain - can you pm me an address I can burn it on a disk for her. I totally don't have ya'alls contact info. Oh and I totalllly forgot to snag the pack - I really liked the one she brought she was just gonna give that one to me at the end - totally forgot haha. I'd love one like that though. Also we need to get her sewing for everyone man. Amazing coveralls and packs and everything! We decided I need to build her a website, Pup will talk about how awesome her stuff is (because omg it is) and dang ya'all could make some money. Everyone - that lady can SEW! Mud help us talk her into being the new bestest cave clothes and supplies sewer out there! She totally would be. You know how long it's taken to find me stuff that works - and she can do it all. There is definitely a need!

Shelly did an awesome job with the trip, it was a blast. Amazing woman. I am adopting her hehe. :grin: I had so much fun and there was a bunch of stuff that I normally shy from in that cave...exposed climbing, traversing around deeeeep pits, jumping across canyons...the exposure/height stuff I don't like. But I was so at ease I was able to do it all without much hesitation and by the end (there were some had to do more than once) some of it was like I'd been doing it all my life, didn't think twice. I honestly surprised myself...I think Shelly just somehow transplanted confidence into me haha. Also I feel like I power-uped on skill level woo boy some of that stuff we did...LOL.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Oct 25, 2011 2:27 pm

No worries on the pack Amy, we'll ship it to ya! Linda said she forgot to give it to ya amongst the pack-up after y'alls adventure!

How did ya feel physically/mentally on Monday? :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm actually not that bad. My right thigh is sore, I think because on the ladders coming up I step up right foot, and to make sure I wouldn't slip I was doing one rung at a time not stepping up it normally where feet go on every-other (i hope that makes sense) so my right leg got all the strain basically of all those ladders climbing out. And then I went back down to help because a few people had really huge/heavy packs and were struggling so I sherpa'd up a couple. I have over 50 bruises (stopped counting after 50) but I'm no more sore than after normal cave trips really. The only thing that's bothering me is my right leg especially on stairs (which I have at my home and work).

Mentally...aww I wanna go backkkkkkk. But with a thermarest because I'd need to actually be able to sleep not freeze all night long. Linda was nice and slept by me to help keep me warm, which did help. I ended up curling up and sleeping with my head on her hip or something (who knows it was just /kinda/ dark :P) when she was on her side so I was more kinda sitting up keeping my core off the ground helped. Not that I was directly on the ground...on a tarp with that heatreflective stuff, and sleeping bag, and cavesuit layed out between as well I was on top of, but it wasn't enough. I just get cold really fast and easily sometimes. It's a warm cave I'd strip when we were moving, but I wasn't quite preped for the sleeping part. I'd go again in a heartbeat just with a thermarest ;)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Overnighting in cave with no pad to sleep on? Ouch! :doh: Apart from that, it sounds like you had a fun trip. Thanks for sharing. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Oct 26, 2011 9:26 am

Amy, glad you had a great time. Linda is a great person to cave with, and she makes great packs and suits (cooks good too). :-) I know Cavemud has a suit that she made for him and it has way outlasted my lost creek suit.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Oct 26, 2011 9:27 am

Oops, almost forgot. Great pics.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum