Who's going to convention in 2011

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Who's going to convention in 2011

Postby David Grimes » May 4, 2011 7:21 pm

I know this thread usually pops up around convention time but I could not find one for the 2011 convention. So I ask, who is going to convention this year? I am considering going but I am not positive yet that I will be able to attend.

Is anyone flying or driving from the Tampa, Fl. area? I will be in Pasco County, Fl. (about 30 minutes north of Tampa) and I am looking for a possible ride share. Flying is an option so I also ask is anyone renting a car or driving from the airport there, I believe the convention website said Denver is the closest hub but it is still a 4 hour drive to the convention site. Like I said I am not positive that I can attend so for now I am just seeing what is out there.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Who's going to convention in 2011

Postby Anonymous_Coward » May 5, 2011 12:06 am

Bonny and I will be at convention and the Black Hills pre-convention camp. As of now we have plenty of room left for the camp if anyone is interested in signing up for trips in Wind and Jewel Caves. Info is on the convention website.

David, you are correct that Denver is the closest hub, but you can also fly into Grand Jct. or Eagle CO. It may cost more money but those airports are much closer to Glenwood than Denver.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby John Lovaas » May 5, 2011 8:39 am

David-

If you are investigating flying in, make sure to look at Aspen- only 35 miles from Glenwood Springs, and there is public transit available- the Roaring Fork Transit Authority has a whole network of routes connecting Aspen and Glenwood Springs-

http://www.rfta.com/valley.html

Aspen(or Fat City) has, counter-intuitively, really good fares- at least from Chicago. I saw winter flights last year for as low as $220 r/t. At the moment, Chicago Midway-Aspen would be the cheapest way for me to get to Convention- $50-$100 cheaper than any of the neighboring airports.

While I'm planning on carpooling from here, Amtrak is an attractive option- $330 r/t from Chicago at the moment. It is a 24 hour train trip- but the driving time is 19 hours.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » May 5, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info everyone I will look into the other airports, I probably could find a flight into Aspen from Tampa. I would much rather find a place I could fly to then take a bus or train to instead of renting a car.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby caverdan » May 5, 2011 3:46 pm

David Grimes wrote:Thanks for the info everyone I will look into the other airports, I probably could find a flight into Aspen from Tampa. I would much rather find a place I could fly to then take a bus or train to instead of renting a car.

The bus service to Glenwood is free from Aspen. The Aspen airport would be my first choice.......it is one of the most beautiful places in the USA to land. If you were to fly into the Eagle airport, You could probably hitch a ride from one of the Colorado Western Slope grotto members who live in Rifle.

Thanks John for your informative post :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Herman Miller » May 5, 2011 7:26 pm

I would love to go, and even have paid leave during convention though with the rising cost of gasoline I doubt I can even afford to drive up from West Texas :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby David Grimes » May 5, 2011 11:17 pm

I was really hoping it would cost less than $800 just to get there, get in, and get back but even flying to Aspen or Eagle is still a $500 roundtrip from Tampa compared to the $300 to get to Denver but then its another $200 to rent a car lol. Looks like it will be a $1000 trip pretty much no matter how I look at it. Looks like I will have to take on some extra freelance work if I want to make this one. Ironically I did not have time to attend the two recent conventions near me in Marengo, In. and the other in Florida.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby NZcaver » May 6, 2011 2:09 am

I'll probably be attending Convention this year. Flying is about the only practical option from here. Thanks for the airport info.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby heneryevery » Jun 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Going to Convention and Black hills camp.

Also looking for those interested in doing Canyonlands-the maze, boating on lake powell and possibly hiking grand canyon after convention.

Art Rafferty

artnjcave@aol.com
heneryevery
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 30610
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nnjg

Postby NZcaver » Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I just registered at last, and booked my flights to Grand Junction. No road trips for me this time, but I arrive on the Friday and leave on the Sunday so there may be time for a little extra caving etc in the area...

Looking forward to my very first time in Colorado! :kewl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby mgmills » Jun 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Glenn and I will be there. We registered last year in Vermont. A few weeks ago we were toying with the idea of cancelling our registration due to a lot of unexpected expenses we've had this spring which ate into our money stash for the convention. However, we have re-evaluated our financial situation and have decided we can still make the trip. . . we will just have to be a bit more frugal with our cash. Probably eat more peanut butter sandwiches and eat out less.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby caverdan » Jun 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Glad to here ya'll are coming!!! :cavingrocks: :cavingrocks: NZ.....when you get there.....I'll take you to check out the hottest lead in Colorado.....literally!!! :yikes:

FWIW....the staff had to buy Hawaiian skirts due to all the HOOPS we've been jumping through. If you don't love the convention.....you'll love the location :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

People keep asking me if I am going...I'm not. Money is tight, that trip would be just as expensive if not moreso than going back to the UK to cave, which is looking more and more like I will be nixing that plan in and of itself for this year. I will be entering the print photo salon though, Aaron agreed to take 'em for me :) Unless some magical basically-free way happens for me to get there...yeah...nope. See ya at fall TAG and bridge day and other stuff though :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 14, 2011 10:22 am

My daughter and I will be making our way to convention this year. I've been to Colorado multiple times for work but this will be my first convention...!!! We are looking forward to the road trip, even though it's gonna be approx 1,500 miles each way...!!!!!!!!!

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 14, 2011 10:58 am

What is the typical convention attendance figure?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum