need help figuring out a cave name

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

need help figuring out a cave name

Postby hammmike » Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm

We recently scouted a cave located in Guntersville Al, located on cave trail in the Guntersville Lake Park. Its at the bottom of a shallow pit. (Yeah, yeah, no posting locations, but the darn thing has park signs advertising it, so I dont think it really applys in this case) Anyway, we explored a good deal of it but had to leave after only a couple hours. Does anyone know anymore information on that cave, or know what the caves name is???? I scoured the net and found nothing, nil,nada,squat. Good cave if you like crawling through creeks. :shrug:
"Whenever you dream, your holding the key, It opens the door to let you be free"
Ronnie James Dio
hammmike
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Hamm
NSS #: 63478
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Still Searching

Re: need help figuring out a cave name

Postby bennettbike » Dec 8, 2011 8:22 am

Okay,
This guy has a point, what's up with Guntersville State Park... It must be a small 50 foot long cave.

They actually do
Advertise, cave".

bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: need help figuring out a cave name

Postby trogman » Dec 8, 2011 10:38 am

If you are talking about the one that is visible from the road, it is AL32, Terrell Cave. I think the other one you are talking about (at the bottom of a small pit) is AL39 King School Cave.

This is according to the ACS map, which shows both caves on the same map. There is some confussion as to which cave is Terrell, and which is King School. According to some accounts, the names are mixed up from the original, historic names. These accounts suggest that the cave near the road is actually King School Cave, and the other one is Terrell Cave.

Guntersville SP has a few other small caves here and there. As far as them "advertising" this cave- heck, they might as well, since it is within sight of the main road.

PM me if you need more info.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum