Where is incredible pit?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Where is incredible pit?

Postby Ch33s3n1p » Apr 6, 2011 10:51 pm

I was hiking around Pigeon Mtn today and found Ellison's incredible entrance. I dropped in, but I'm not sure where to go once inside. Who has been down incredible pit? PM me please.
Last edited by Anonymous on Apr 7, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ch33s3n1p
Occasional Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Re: Where is fantastic pit?

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 7, 2011 7:03 am

I have. follow the talus slope downhill past all the trees into a dome room where there are 3 ropes hanging from various domes. There is a passage under the wall you crawl under at this point. To get to incredible you go through some crappy tight passages, but follow the elephant tracks. While its not heavily visited, im sure you will find markings. You will come to another drop before incredible, but once you find the 2nd bolted drop you are only a couple minutes away from incredible. You are only 400 or 500 horizontal feet from incredible from the stairstep entrance, I don't know how hard the route is to find as ive only came OUT that entrance (crossover).

However, Fantastic pit is on the other side of the mountain.........
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ch33s3n1p » Apr 7, 2011 8:08 am

I thought that low passage looked promising. There was a lot of water and I wasn't dressed properly for it so we didn't push that passage. Do you know where the three ropes go and if they're rigged well? Is the stairstep entrance near the vertical incredible entrance? Thanks for the info, you can PM me if you don't want to post too much information on here.
Ch33s3n1p
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 7, 2011 8:09 am

Please understand that we want to help you, but we also want to make sure you and other cavers are safe.

We have no idea who you are or what your experience is, but if you are asking these questions, we have to assume that you are inexperienced. Two inexperienced students died in that cave a couple months ago. If they had gotten valuable info from the local grotto (Pigeon Mtn Grotto) or other cavers, they would have realized that they had no business in that unforgiving, yet amazing, cave. Please seek out some help. Do your homework and get some training before you attempt a cave like this. You need to earn access to this cave. We all did. You should too. It's really pretty easy. But, it does require some effort.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Apr 7, 2011 11:33 am

The entrance Chad refers to is the incredible stair step entrance, this pit series is wet pretty much all year around. Fantasitc Pit is on the other side of the mountain has horizontal entrance , then a 120 foot somtimes wet pit ( Warm Up Pit) then after more horizontal cave you will then reach the sometimes wet 590 foot Fantastic Pit. Normally , Fantastic and The Warm Up pits are wet in the spring and winter. You can sometimes go in the summer and fall and find these two pits dry. There always exceptions to these "normal" wet times. When doing these pits when wet you will need at least poly pro or maybe even wet suits. Like others have said , we do not know your experience BUT local grottos may be able to help you if you need help with what proper gear, clothing ect. for this complex cave. Route finding can be difficult to go from one side of the mountain to the next. It is best to go with others who have been before.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby bennettbike » Apr 7, 2011 12:11 pm

I was with Matt yesterday. We planned to drop fantastic and explore at the bottom this trip but the water was rather swiftly moving and we felt uncomfortable without wetsuits. so I used my gps to find the other entrance and thus
the questions.
:)

Thanks for the help!
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Ch33s3n1p » Apr 7, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks for the information folks. I understand your concern especially in light of the recent deaths in warmup pit. I have all the proper equipment.. vertical gear, ropes, wet suit, dry suit, etc. I've practiced changovers, pick offs, hauling, etc. Caves will always be dangerous, but I'm as prepaired as I can be. From what I've read on here combined with other trip reports I should be able to find Incredible pit next time.

I have no interest in going to meetings and social events, I just want to cave. Maybe I'll start "Matt's grotto where all we do is cave" then I won't catch flak for being inexperienced. Because after all everybody in a grotto has their shit together, right?
Ch33s3n1p
Occasional Poster

Postby Ch33s3n1p » Apr 7, 2011 3:25 pm

I just noticed I made a mistake in the title of this thread. I was looking for INCREDIBLE PIT, not fantastic pit. My bad.
Ch33s3n1p
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 7, 2011 4:03 pm

matt2300 wrote:...I'm as prepaired as I can be.

All you lack is experience. You can get it slowly or take someone with you that has it already.
Because after all everybody in a grotto has their shit together, right?

No. But, a grotto is the easiest way to get the info you want. Do it the easy way or the hard way. Your choice.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Re: Where is incredible pit?

Postby bennettbike » Jun 7, 2011 7:28 am

After the stairstep entrance and then the first underground drop, is the next drop incredible pit? Or do you have to repel 3 pits before incredible.

Found candy bar plastic trash under a small rock
:(

Trash and caving is lame
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby tncaver » Jun 7, 2011 7:49 am

Doing one of the deepest pits in TAG is not the way to get experience. If you are inexperienced you should bounce lots of lesser pits first.
I hope we don't read about your rescue in the newspaper. Even experienced cavers can get in trouble and even die in deep multidrop caves.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bennettbike » Jun 7, 2011 9:42 am

Your post was irrelevant, I climb for a living lol... I was asking an actual question.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby bennettbike » Jun 7, 2011 9:45 am

I was hoping to guess at how much rope I need to get to the bottom of fantastic, bleh
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 7, 2011 9:52 am

bennettbike wrote:I was hoping to guess at how much rope I need to get to the bottom of fantastic, bleh

None.

Perhaps, you mean, how much rope does it take to get out of Fantastic Pit?

Sorry, but based on what I know of you, which is only what you have posted, I don't feel confident about giving you info about this cave. You may be a fine person, safe, cautious and respectful, but I just don't know you. Sell yourself better or earn it and the info will flow like a river.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 7, 2011 9:57 am

bennettbike wrote:I was hoping to guess at how much rope I need to get to the bottom of fantastic, bleh

Lots!!!
Last edited by Chads93GT on Jun 7, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum