Cicurina Cave March 2011

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Cicurina Cave March 2011

Postby djase1 » Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I wanted to report my cave trip from this last Saturday. The cave is located in Colorado Bend State Park in Texas and. This cave will probably seem boring to some of the experienced cavers on this site, but for me it was the start of a new and exciting journey. The tour was guided and is available every Saturday at the park.

The Circurina cave entrance is a hole in the ground, approximately 2-1/2' in diameter that descends about ten feet into a room about ten feet in diameter. From there a sloping passage goes down about 30 feet. The passage is fairly narrow in spots, maybe 18 inches wide and it was quite a gut check for me. I have never really been in such a tight area and even though I thought I was prepared for it, I had to stop a moment and calm myself. The feeling was intense and exciting and once I broke past that mental barrier, I was hooked. The cave contained lots of crawling passages and after about 130 feet it opened into a larger chamber. There was a second entrance that was located above the chamber that come out into a dry creekbed but it would take equipment to enter or exit. There were several bats in this chamber, I counted maybe 7 scattered around. From that chamber the guide pointed out several passages and described them and then let the group, total of nine, explore the cave. I think the total length of the cave is around 600 ft. and we were about 40 ft depth. There were not any formations to speak of which was disappointing, but overall the experience was amazing. For being a guided tour, the cave was clean and appeared undamaged by vandals or guests.

I really can't explain why I have waited this long to experience this, especially since I have always had an interest in caves and climbing. The trip back up the narrow slope was tough. The passage was slick and muddy and I was exhausted from the rest of the journey at that point. I was in the cave about 2 1/2 hours and totally wiped :big grin: I was muddy, sore, cut, sweaty and entirely happy.

Several sections of passages tested my resolve and I think overall all it was a great beginner cave. The feeling I had while in the cave was one of wonder and peace. It was something I don't think I have felt in all of my outdoor adventures and I can't wait for my next cave! I have been thinking of that cave and the trip since I climbed out ot it :grin: I hope to share many more trips with you all.

Jase
djase1
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: UT Grotto

Re: Cicurina Cave March 2011

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Jase and more importantly welcome to caving!

Thanks for sharing your first cave experience. On your journey you will discover many more caves, some beautiful and some terrifying. I have been caving for 18 years and I can assure you that I still sometimes experience intense and exciting feelings that test my resolve. But it is that sense of wonder and peace you described that keeps me crawling into holes in the ground.

Hope to hear about many more of your adventures. :bat sticker:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby tncaver » Mar 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Jase, EXCELLENT description of the cave! :clap:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby djase1 » Mar 28, 2011 7:29 pm

:grin: It was very special to me that is for sure. I can't wait to go back into the ground and explore some more. And the little bit of fear I felt was probably a good thing. Need to pace myself and take my time in places like that.
djase1
Infrequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 29, 2011 2:22 pm

:) Awesome! My first experience in a cave was kinda similar except there wasn't a lot of tiny spaces (lava tube caves) after I realized that yes, I can do this cave thing, it was amazing!

For me, Tenzin's quote (dunno if he made it or found it) sums it up: "Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been. Darkness never satisfies."
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby djase1 » Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I saw that quote as well and it really struck me as true. I seriously am beside myself wanting to go back. My next trip isn't until the middle of April so I am searching the web for wild cave tours near me or anything. I want to go soon, but I also am aware that I need to go with experienced people, so I might just have to wait till April.
djase1
Infrequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Did you check the NSS page yet for a grotto near you? http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm
I just ask because you keep saying wild cave tours which to me seems like show caves that offer wild tours. There are a ton more caves than that and depending on where you are, there are people from grottos caving every weekend :) Might want to check it out! You are perfectly right though to go with experienced people, you are doing it the smart way! Grottos are great to network and meet said people, and soon enough, you'll be one of those experienced people yourself!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby djase1 » Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm

My trip in April will be with an area Grotto, I am just looking for things to do in the meantime. There are tons of caves around me, but I have looked into tours because I don't know any experienced cavers and that seems a safe way to get back into the ground. I just don't want to have to wait until the middle of April to go back into a cave :grin:

But yes, I am going to get involved with a local grotto. Thanks for the advice though :big grin:
djase1
Infrequent Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum