Where is everyone caving during spring break?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Where is everyone caving during spring break?

Postby David Grimes » Feb 8, 2011 10:35 pm

Just curious if anyone will be traveling and/or caving anywhere special for spring break? I thought it would be an interesting thread. Who knows some people may find a trip planned to a cave they have always wanted to visit. I will be down in the Port Richey, Fl. area at that time, I wouldn't mind checking out some Florida caves since I have not had a chance to visit any yet.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Where is everyone caving during spring break?

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 8, 2011 10:43 pm

Spring Break...I'll be busy working on my thesis defense. WOOOOOOOoooo

Erm if not doing that I might be in Boston? If so maybe I'll go to some caves out there?

I know there is a grotto trip in March somewhere too....oh that's not spring break week. MVOR is over my spring break. I could maybe go there. I might go last minute still as a treat to myself if my defense date finishes before then =)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 9, 2011 3:54 am

My traditional "spring break" plans don't include caving - nor sun, sand, or partying.

Think colder. MUCH colder. This was me on spring break last year.

I'm at the beach, no less. That frozen white stuff behind me is the Bering Sea. It's a mild 25 below zero, not counting wind chill. You too can experience fun like this if you're a special kind of crazy. I'll be doing it all again next month. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 9:08 am

It's really pretty but I would be so cold! Not that I'm not used to -25F it gets that cold in Michigan. But I really get cold in anything below 60F. Although you look pretty bundled :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 9, 2011 2:07 pm

You could always dig a deep hole in the snow then map it and give it a name lol.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 2:39 pm

David Grimes wrote:You could always dig a deep hole in the snow then map it and give it a name lol.

TRUE! I did that when I was 13 actually. I guess there was a caver in me all along...it was when we got like 4 ft of snow within a few days, and drifts were quite high! I packed it all down nice and hard, and dug out a great fort, complete with a wall along the side across from my brother's with shelves on it for pre-made snowballs so I'd have extras for fights. I wish I had a photo of it and the map I made of it is long gone. It had 2 main rooms though with a crawl connecting them, and some small off-shoots. The main rooms were big enough to sit up comfortabley in, the "Large Main" was enough for 3 to sit in, the hands/knees crawlway from that to the "Small Hub" was called "The Slide" because it was iced down on the bottom so you could basically bellyflop slide through it if you wanted. I then had "The Maze" which was small bellycrawl windybits that lead to the secret entrance well disguised by icicles you could move to get in.

...oh yeah I was a creative child.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 9, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm going caving in............. (take a guess now)............................................ta da.....Tennessee! :rofl:
Big surprise right! :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 9, 2011 7:38 pm

Now what would someone from Tennessee, with a screen name tncaver, be doing caving in Tennessee. Maybe you should mix it up and go to Alabama or Georgia or even Kentucky. You should go to a commercial cave though that way you don't risk spreading WNS since humans cannot spread WNS to commercial caves. :sarcasm:
David Grimes
Admin

Postby tncaver » Feb 9, 2011 8:53 pm

David Grimes wrote:Now what would someone from Tennessee, with a screen name tncaver, be doing caving in Tennessee. Maybe you should mix it up and go to Alabama or Georgia or even Kentucky. You should go to a commercial cave though that way you don't risk spreading WNS since humans cannot spread WNS to commercial caves. :sarcasm:

TN has all I need. :laughing: BTW, bats spread WNS.
Last edited by tncaver on Feb 10, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Feb 9, 2011 9:58 pm

:big grin: I'll be in PA., WV., or TN. as virgin borehole awaits in each! Too many caves, too little time!

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Cody JW » Feb 14, 2011 8:13 am

NZcaver wrote:My traditional "spring break" plans don't include caving - nor sun, sand, or partying.

Think colder. MUCH colder. This was me on spring break last year.

I'm at the beach, no less. That frozen white stuff behind me is the Bering Sea. It's a mild 25 below zero, not counting wind chill. You too can experience fun like this if you're a special kind of crazy. I'll be doing it all again next month. :big grin:
Spend some time with my favorite breed, the siberian husky. They now take away caving time from me as I do volunteer work to help the homeless ones.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 14, 2011 11:16 am

I love huskys. And Welsh collies. When I get a dog someday, it will be one of those two.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 16, 2011 4:16 am

Cody JW wrote:Spend some time with my favorite breed, the siberian husky. They now take away caving time from me as I do volunteer work to help the homeless ones.

Hey Jeff. I saw a previous post somewhere else on the forum about your volunteer work with Siberians, and was going to reply but got sidetracked. These are great dogs. My wife and I regularly volunteer with exercising dogs (all breeds) and socializing cats rescued by the local SPCA, and it's wonderful to see them get adopted even if it's sometimes a little sad to be saying goodbye. It's also great to hear big stores like PetSmart have teamed up with animal shelters to promote adoptions and shun puppy-mill breeding programs. Long overdue, in my opinion.

Up here we see some Iditarod teams which are all-Siberian, but many others are made up of Alaskan Husky mixes (usually with some wolf in them) which are arguably the best long distance sled dogs for racing. In addition to going on the trail I'm also a handler at the start, so I get to work with some of the different teams. Contrary to a few misguided myths, those are some of the happiest and best cared-for dogs you'll ever see.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby steven.millett » Feb 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Sungura wrote:Spring Break...I'll be busy working on my thesis defense. WOOOOOOOoooo

Erm if not doing that I might be in Boston? If so maybe I'll go to some caves out there?

I know there is a grotto trip in March somewhere too....oh that's not spring break week. MVOR is over my spring break. I could maybe go there. I might go last minute still as a treat to myself if my defense date finishes before then =)

The best cave near boston is called "masshole" in the southern Berkshires.
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby JSDunham » Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Actually, the best cave near Boston is Merlin's, but neither Merlins nor Mass Hole is really "near" Boston and "best" is subjective... doesn't much matter, though, as Merlin's is closed until the spring, and Mass Hole is a bat cave so shouldn't be visited in the winter... there are a few good Vermont and Mass. caves that are not closed during the winter, but not many, and mostly 2 1/2-5 hours drive from Boston.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Next

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum