Ohio - near OSU - this weekend?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Ohio - near OSU - this weekend?

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 16, 2010 1:42 am

So I'm coming down with two friends from capoiera for an event this coming weekend and I'm tempted to try seeing if they wanna see a quick cave while there ^.^
I did a quick good search I see there are a few show caves in Ohio but ehhhhhh $14? Heck Cathedral Caverns was only $12. Plus wild caves more fun hehe.
...are there any in ohio? I'd assume with a couple show caves there must be some wild ones hanging around somewhere.
...and if so even if not this weekend I could probably come some other weekend :)
I would email DUG or something but *if* they respond it takes them an average of 2-3 weeks to reply by my experience with them. Figured I'd have better luck here.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Ohio - near OSU - this weekend?

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 16, 2010 7:00 pm

sungura..

The NSS cave files show 216 caves in OH. Good luck. I wouldn't discount the Ohio Show Caves. Ohio Caverns is pretty decent.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Dec 17, 2010 5:35 am

Amy,

Who in DUG have you been e-mailing? If you e-mail me, you'll get an answer usually the same day.

Ohio Caverns is very nice and not far from Columbus. Olentangy Indian Caverns is close to Columbus too, but I've not been there. There are no wild caves around the Columbus area that I'm aware of. You have to get down to Adams County for wild caves and that's a couple of more hours south from Columbus.

Have fun!

Mike Hood
DUG Chairman
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby batrotter » Dec 17, 2010 8:32 am

Hocking Hills State Park is a beautiful place to visit. It's about 30-40 miles south of Columbus. They also have some "caves" there but they are not extensive.

Check out this link:

http://www.hockinghills.com/index.html

Look under the pick called: The Parks!
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum