TRIP REPORT: Webster Cave System (KY, US) 2005/08/20

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

TRIP REPORT: Webster Cave System (KY, US) 2005/08/20

Postby Darklight » Sep 5, 2005 12:31 pm

The WCCSG monthly survey trip to Webster came to fruition once again this past Saturday. Six cavers descended upon the Parkses (Parksii?) at 0800 CST to tackle some more of the Systems passageways.

Since we had so many headlamps, we split into two teams. Group A, of which I was a part, was headed by Melissa Hendrickson (on sketch) and supported by Mark Phillips on instruments. I played drums. Group B was spearheaded by Ben Hutchins (in from DC to sketch), Pat Mudd, and Canada native Todd Armstrong. This is truly becoming a world-class survey event: we've had people from many countries and several continents to help out!

Our two groups hit the first lake at about 0915, and headed to the Parks Avenue Junction, covering the 6000 or so feet in under one hour. This is perhaps the most mundane and treacherous section of the cave, accented by long stretches of deep mud and water.

After a quick snack break, we split into out respective teams. Ben, Pat, and Todd headed up Parks to clean up some leftover side leads, and also to tackle the first part of the North Bore Passage. His trip report is soon to follow...

Melissa, Mark, and I headed deeper down Webster Avenue to station B90. This was the previous stopping point for the main trunk survey, ended on 2005/07/26. We arrived and began the survey just before noon. The survey lacked about three stations of clearing the Rocky Horror Lake, and soon we were beyond its mud and rocks and into fine modified phreatic trunk with shallow water and sandy bottom. We passed Schrodingers lead (a high out-of-reach lead with a small waterfall) and were soon at the Marathon Portage. This portage is a drainage divide for the main trunk (one of several) and is characterized by high banks of angular chert. This chert is derived from Marathon Crawl, which lay at the end of the portage. We charted one additional small side lead off Marathon Portage before reaching the Crawl itself.

A healthy discharge of water issues forth from Marathon Crawl. Beyond its opening lay several thousand feet of passageway. It is also believed to connect with Vanlarh Sink Cave. We set a permanent station at the two entrances to Marathon Crawl, ate lunch, and proceeded to map the main trunk down Marathon Lake.

Marathon Lake is the longest lake in the cave, measuring about 1700 feet long. The water depth here is 3 to 6 feet along the entire length; water is wall-to-wall in most places. It is similar to the first lake of the cave. It had been over 15 years since I had been this deep into the system. I had forgotten how beautiful this part of the cave is. Surely this is the most magnificent trunk passage in the state! It measures 20 to 35 feet high, and nearly as wide, with rotund ceilings and canyon-like walls. The water is still and clear with a magnificent blue-green sheen. Huge cave fishes hang in the water and the echo seems to go on forever!

We set numerous stations to a point about 800 feet from its beginning. We decided to stop at a large flowstone mass and small side lead, having run out of time for the day. We packed up and headed back to the rendezvous point at Parks. Our SOP is for the first team out to leave a survey marker to indicate their departure ahead of the other team. We were first there, so Ben's team must have really gotten into the side leads!

We exited the cave at around 5pm, for a total around 8 hours. Our group netted approximately 2300 feet of survey, bringing the total to around 3 miles.

Some other observations. Years ago, we used to see one large carp in the front and middle sections of the cave. I saw another one, around 16 inches long. Wonder if it could be the same one from the 80's? Most of the cave lakes were clear, with only slight silting from the massive storm there last week. The water levels are all very low now. Also, we saw unidentified boot prints all the way to Marathon Portage. I don't have any idea who has been in this far, but they were fresh (at least as young as the lats flood event). I don't recall Mr. Parks saying anyone had been in any amount of time recently. No bother, but I wish I knew who they were so they could join the fight!

Chris Anderson

Here's our trip report By Ben Hutchins On the 20th of August, 2005, Chris Anderson, Todd Arnstrong, Melissa Hendrickson, Pat Mudd, and myself met at Mr. Parks house to do some good survey. Pat and Todd and myself made up one group. Our objective was to continue survey in Parks Ave., finishing up some leads and primarily surveying to the sump. We entered the cave around 8:45 AM CST (give or take) and got to the junction with Parks Ave. in about 45 minutes. From there it was another 30 minutes or so to the Hole in the Wall lead which leads to the sump and is essentially the beginning of North Bore. The survey here went fairly smooth until I started dropping my survey book into the water which causes me to cuss loudly. We had minor inconveniences with the instruments fogging up, but what else is new? Before long, we reached the sump, and it was blowing good. Enough air was coming out to ripple the water in front of it. However, since there were chances of localized heavy storms, we thought it best not to survey through to the other side. After finishing this survey up, and leaving a few leads in this section, we headed back out to Parks Ave after surveying a loop through some breakdown which leads back into Parks and ties into our original station. We then headed to the very back of Parks Ave. to finish up a survey in a small pit dome complex back there. This only took 2 shots but they were difficult and it took a long time. There is no doubt that this area has a connection with the surface. There is bits of organic material, warm air, and we head a cricket chirping. I don't know if cave crickets chirp or not, but if so, this is the first time I've ever heard one. After this, it was 5:00 PM which was our planned time to be back at the junction with of Parks Ave. and Webster Ave. So, we hurried on out of the cave making good time. In all, we surveyed a total of 459.9 ft. And now someone needs to go survey the sump. HURRY! GO NOW!
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Postby CKB69 » Sep 5, 2005 11:35 pm

Great trip reports!
Lets keep 'em coming...
8)
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby bigalpha » Sep 7, 2005 8:34 am

dang, that sounds like a whole bunch of fun. i wish i had equipment, time, and knowledge to do stuff like that; or maybe find a cave. that would be neat. who gets to name the caves?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dave Bunnell » Sep 7, 2005 2:37 pm

Interesting to see that this cave is being remapped. I was on an epic survey trip here around '75 with Rone Hubbard, who was producing a map (don't know if he ever finished one). We were using canoes and had dragged two of them in through the entrance crawl. We did a day of survey and left them sitting a few feet above the water where the entrance passage comes in.
That night it started dumping rain, which continued all the next day. It was so bad no one wanted to get out of their tents. We asked Rone about the canoes and he said it would take a week of rain to raise the water much. Finally on the third day of rain some of us went in to check on the canoes. Both were gone but we located one downstream. The other was nowhere to be seen and the passage we had gone through the day before was sumped. Months later, some folks from Louisville Grotto returned and recovered the second canoe, which was wedged in the ceiling upside down and somewhat bent. But the paddles were still inside!

That trip made a great impression on me as a new caver about the power of water. So I applaud your mapping efforts but please watch the water...

Also, please think about submitting something for the NSS News on the cave when its done. Chris, I'm sure you must have gotten some nice pix to go with it.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

4th Time's a Charm!

Postby Darklight » Sep 7, 2005 4:37 pm

Dave:

I forgot about your participation in early work in Webster. I recall Bill Holmes telling a similar story as your canoe and rain adventure. I'd bet he was there with you. Having never met Rone, I am not exactly sure what all he got done. I know he and Bill spent a lot of time in there. I am good friends with Bill, and have seen a map he worked on. I think they are the same. It was never published and for years was kept secret by Holmes.

We actually remapped a great deal of the cave back in the late 80's, but it was line plot only (we were after a ridge walking guide and mileage). The Louisville Grotto also mapped about 9000 feet of it for a Speleofest once. This fourth and final map will be the end all I hope! I've been working in this cave since 1983, and now have found myself surrounded by others who have the talent and fortitude to get it done completely. Plus, there is now a lot of cave that was unknown to Rone and Bill to be charted.

I am thinking in terms of a very large article about the history of exploration and our exploits, plus maps and photography, for the NSS News. In fact, I already have a cover image picked out;-)

Always watching the water.....

CG
C.G. Anderson

Darklight
Prolific Poster

webster's adventures long ago.

Postby Roppelcaver » Sep 7, 2005 5:31 pm

I was with Dave Bunnell on that trip back in '75. I remember we took the one remaining canoe and had a whale of a time riding the frothing water coming out of the spring near the entrance.
Roppelcaver
Prolific Poster

Who are thee?

Postby Darklight » Sep 7, 2005 6:56 pm

Roppel:

Who are you? I just tried to call Bill Holmes in PA but alas his number is defunct (again)...was he with you all on that trip?

CG
C.G. Anderson

Darklight
Prolific Poster

Roppelcaver...

Postby Roppelcaver » Sep 7, 2005 10:26 pm

Oh, sorry.

Roppelcaver is Jim Borden.

I remember two from PA -- and it was Dave, I, and couple others from Wilmington.
Roppelcaver
Prolific Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum