ENGLAND!!!

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

ENGLAND!!!

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 4, 2010 10:17 am

OKay so it's looking like my trip to England Nov 10th-24th (ish) is going to work.

So, you know, I just *have* to cave when I'm there. Right? :D

Anyone here from England or know people from there and can get me in contact with the right folk? I can always default to google search for grottos there, but if I can network this way through people I "know" I dunno, I always feel better about that. Call me silly.

I do want to make it up to Edinburgh in Scotland because it's lovely up there (went to the UK last summer) and I will be in Leeds for Thoughtbubble...and of course flying in and out of London, so between those that's kinda a trip around the whole area there...I remember a post for an article a little while back about a huge cave system that I think was 40 miles from Leeds? So it seems that might be a good area...but it also seemed most of those entrances were vertical - I will NOT have vertical training by then so we need to stick to horizontal caves. Any good ones you all know about and would recommend?

Feel free to PM me or something if it's more detailed info you don't want to post or contact info you don't want to post.

Thanks! :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: ENGLAND!!!

Postby ian mckenzie » Oct 4, 2010 11:13 am

November can be an ugly time in the UK weather-wise; be prepared for rain.

The principal caving areas are in Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Somerset and south Wales; if you are based in Leeds then the first two are your best bet. A good place to meet cavers is in their favorite pubs, but with your limited time you'd be wise to set up some contacts in advance. Make sure that you tell them when you will be in which areas, and that you are not SRT-competent; that will save you and your potential hosts alot of time when selecting what's best for you.

You might consider posting on UKcaving.com; they can be very helpful.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Frine » Oct 13, 2010 9:26 am

Hello!

I'd guess you're either thinking of the Gaping Ghyll system (all vertical entrances, but very impressive main chamber and worth a look if you're ever back with vertical training) or the Easegill system. I don't know the Easegill system too well (and its VERY compicated - take someone who knows the way) but you can get down the Wretched Rabbit entrance without SRT as long as you don't mind a handline climb.

Other than that, in derbyshire there's Peak Caverns, but you'll need to arrange access - talk to someone from the TSG in Castleton or Giants Hole with an easy ladder pitch.

If you're thinking of heading over to Wales, contact the people at the South Wales Caving Club and ask if they can take you around OFD top - lots of really nice horizontal caving in there!

Happy caving! :big grin:
Frine
Infrequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 14, 2010 11:07 am

Well hey, plane ticket booked! Communicating with cavers over on that ukcaving forum for dates but looks like i'll be in some caves in Mendip and Yorkshire Dales :woohoo: :bananabat: :cavingrocks:

If anyone here is over there let me know! Love to meet you!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby verticalAndy » Oct 16, 2010 6:30 pm

I've had two great trips to England in the Yorkshire dales, I was able to borrow everything I needed and the people were very hospitable. If you're in Yorkshire, you need to visit Inglebrook. It turns out that the two most famous caving shops are located in Inglebrook, right next to each other: Inglesport and Bernies. Bernies used to be a restaurant; however, when Inglesport opened up a restaurant upstairs, Bernies opened up a caving store.

Bernies has a great "cavers breakfast" that consists of 3 eggs, 3 pieces of sausage, lots of bacon, beans, tomatoe, half a loaf of bread, and black pudding. It's served on a 18" plate and it will take you a while to consume. The owner of Bernies is a guy named Steve, he's a Yorkshireman who will likely come out of the kitchen and talk to you if you tell him that you are from America and that you traveled all the way to visit his shop.

The Gaping Gill system and Easegill system are both very impressive. Find a local caving organization and someone will likely offer to include you into one of their trips.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Andy
verticalAndy
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 61411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby paul » Oct 18, 2010 6:18 am

verticalAndy wrote:I've had two great trips to England in the Yorkshire dales, I was able to borrow everything I needed and the people were very hospitable. If you're in Yorkshire, you need to visit Inglebrook. It turns out that the two most famous caving shops are located in Inglebrook
Andy

Sorry - I think you meant 'Ingleton' rather than 'Inglebrook'.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby verticalAndy » Oct 24, 2010 6:06 am

paul wrote:
verticalAndy wrote:I've had two great trips to England in the Yorkshire dales, I was able to borrow everything I needed and the people were very hospitable. If you're in Yorkshire, you need to visit Inglebrook. It turns out that the two most famous caving shops are located in Inglebrook
Andy

Sorry - I think you meant 'Ingleton' rather than 'Inglebrook'.

My mistake, I did mean Ingleton; however, there is no mistake about the beauty of the caves in the Yorkshire dales, There is a wealth of information (and equipment) at both shops. If you are visiting the area, you can rent quite a lot of the caving gear you might need to get you underground.
verticalAndy
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 61411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 24, 2010 10:28 am

I have my clothes helmet/light and stuff and it really doesn't take up much space in a suitcase...I'd be more comfy with my own gear.

I am getting out to Wales for a trip in OFD (thanks to Les) and then the next day probably Swildon's (sp?) in Mendip again thx to Les. Monday Burt is taking me out to another Mendip cave, I dunno which. In the Yorkshire Dales I'm meeting up with the Bradford Pothole Club for a trip the next Sunday....Terry is picking me up at the train station on their way out to (I don' tknow what) cave. Don't have anything planned Monday up in the dales yet though.

Anyway! yeah so four trips planned a fifth one possible :D
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tonyvoudy » Nov 2, 2010 11:56 am

verticalAndy wrote:...

Bernies has a great "cavers breakfast" that consists of 3 eggs, 3 pieces of sausage, lots of bacon, beans, tomatoe, half a loaf of bread, and black pudding. It's served on a 18" plate and it will take you a while to consume. The owner of Bernies is a guy named Steve, he's a Yorkshireman who will likely come out of the kitchen and talk to you if you tell him that you are from America and that you traveled all the way to visit his shop.

Andy

I just LOVED the cheese on toast! I could not get enough of it!
tonyvoudy
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 44233
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tonyvoudy » Nov 2, 2010 12:00 pm

Sungura wrote:I have my clothes helmet/light and stuff and it really doesn't take up much space in a suitcase...I'd be more comfy with my own gear.

I am getting out to Wales for a trip in OFD (thanks to Les) and then the next day probably Swildon's (sp?) in Mendip again thx to Les. Monday Burt is taking me out to another Mendip cave, I dunno which. In the Yorkshire Dales I'm meeting up with the Bradford Pothole Club for a trip the next Sunday....Terry is picking me up at the train station on their way out to (I don' tknow what) cave. Don't have anything planned Monday up in the dales yet though.

Anyway! yeah so four trips planned a fifth one possible :D

Hope you have a great time! English caves are generally pretty cold and I was grateful to have my fury suit on (Bought from Bernies) Don't forget to get a Bernie Bag and take pics in TAG with it. Steve will post it on his wall.

-tv
tonyvoudy
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 44233
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 4, 2010 9:26 am

Cool! Well I dunno where you are in England but maybe we'll meet up somewhere :)
Sat 13th - Les is taking me to OFD in wales
Sun 14th - Les again, GB in mendip
Mon 15th - Burt is taking me to Swildon's
Wed 17th - Oh dear forget his name...Andy maybe? going to abandoned limestone mine by Edinburgh
Sun 21st - Terry/Bradford Pothole Club and don't know the cave (apparently weather dependent)
Mon 22nd - I have open but no trip planned yet

this is going to be one exhausting trip haha
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum