Moses Tomb Pit, Alabama

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Moses Tomb Pit, Alabama

Postby kodyodom » Oct 3, 2010 10:29 pm

I bounced moses tomb pit yesterday for the first time, and i loved it, it is my favorite pit so far. What do you think of it?
kodyodom
Infrequent Poster

Name: Kody Odom

Re: Moses Tomb Pit, Alabama

Postby tgilmore » Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm

havent been there yet! but hey kodyodom, i'm travis. i just moved to chattanooga!
tgilmore
Infrequent Poster

Name: Travis
NSS #: 61608

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Definately an interesting pit simply because of how big it is, where its located, and the massive flowstone on the wall all the way up, and..........no passage to speak of at the bottom. I've only done a handfull of TAG pit's but one of them is Ellison's. that is by far the most jaw dropping I have done yet.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kodyodom » Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey, nice to meet you. How do you like Chattanooga so far?
kodyodom
Infrequent Poster

Postby tgilmore » Oct 20, 2010 5:37 am

i liked asheville a lot better but chattanooga is alright. i'm definitely enjoying the fact that it's so close to tons of rock climbing area and in the heart of TAG. What type of caving do you enjoy?
tgilmore
Infrequent Poster

Name: Travis
NSS #: 61608

Postby Cody JW » Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm

tgilmore wrote:i liked asheville a lot better but chattanooga is alright. i'm definitely enjoying the fact that it's so close to tons of rock climbing area and in the heart of TAG. What type of caving do you enjoy?
I have been caving in TAG since 89 but live in Indianapolis and have all my life. Indy is home and I love living there being a racing fan, But if I could live anywhere else in or around a large city it would be Chattanooga. My opinion is TAG is the best caving area in the U.S. I very much look forward to my few visits a year.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Cody JW » Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Definately an interesting pit simply because of how big it is, where its located, and the massive flowstone on the wall all the way up, and..........no passage to speak of at the bottom. I've only done a handfull of TAG pit's but one of them is Ellison's. that is by far the most jaw dropping I have done yet.
Chad , I have done both Ellisons and Fern, even though Ellisons is deeper I think Surprise is the most impressive size wise. When you are at the top , from the first approach point to the rig point on the natural bridge gives you a small idea of how large that thing is.Some will disagree with me but I have also done Golandrinas and for some reason I was more impressed with Fantastic.Too bad it is currently closed due to WNS.As far as Moses goes , I thought it was very comfortable on the bottom, not cold at all.Nice pit. Well worth seeing if you have never done it , but they all are.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Oct 21, 2010 9:58 am

I mean surprise is currently closed due to WNS, although Ellisons does close on occasion during hunting season.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kodyodom » Oct 21, 2010 6:21 pm

I like vertical caving the most, but I enjoy all types of caving except for cave diving, I don't see myself ever doing that.
kodyodom
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Oct 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Just to illuminate something in this thread that has caught my eye, for those reading who may not know: there is no pit called Ellison's. Ellison's Cave is in Georgia, and is home to both of the deepest pits in TAG (Fantastic Pit on one side of the mountain @ 586ft, and Incredible Pit at the far side of the mountain @ 440ft). It's safe to assume, I'd imagine, that when Chad says I've only done a handfull of TAG pit's but one of them is Ellison's he means to say "Fantastic."

Certainly all parties here are aware of this, but I thought I'd jump in and clear that up.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 22, 2010 1:27 am

yeah sorry, but actually I did the crossover in ellisons 2 months ago and both pits were..............awesome.

my favorite part about moses tomb is the creepy old deliverance bus in the woods ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speleo » Oct 22, 2010 8:29 pm

One of the most interesting things about visiting Moses Tomb back in the 70's and 80's was the land owner, Russell White, and his family. Talk about some characters. Russell was a good friend to cavers and old timers have some good stories about their visits there.

:cave softly:
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Hunter » Nov 7, 2010 8:56 pm

Ahhhh, Mose's Tomb. I haven't been to Mose's Tomb in years but in my earlier years of caving (late sixties and early seventies with the West Georgia Grotto) I visited often. It was fun to take the newbies and tell them to be careful negotiating the "first ledge" (actually the bottom of the pit, save the little climb down to the left). We would be sure to send an experienced person down first, with enough rope to pull around the corner. The first ones down would pull the rope around the corner and get out of sight of the rappeler. The newbie would hit bottom, stay on rope, and carefully stay on rope, carefully rappelling the five or six feet down to the grinning reception party. Russel and Inez White were quite the interesting pair. I spent one Easter weekend with them, ridgewalking Sand and Fox Mountains from their place. They put me up in the bed in their kitchen and fed me like a king. Found Good Friday Pit (Fox Mt.) and Sloopy's Double Drop (Sand Mt.) that weekend while solo ridgewalking. It was a memorable weekend.
Don Hunter
NSS 12166
Don Hunter
Occasional Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 10, 2010 11:45 am

speleo wrote:One of the most interesting things about visiting Moses Tomb back in the 70's and 80's was the land owner, Russell White, and his family. Talk about some characters. Russell was a good friend to cavers and old timers have some good stories about their visits there.

Agree, You had a friend for life if you brought him a 6 pack.One of my caving friends was there and fixed his tv dish for him. I miss him and Charlie Smith

:cave softly:
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 10, 2010 11:48 am

My last post went into the quote box
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum