Looking for an experienced caver to guide us in the IXL cave

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Looking for an experienced caver to guide us in the IXL cave

Postby Georges.Casassovici » May 7, 2021 8:39 pm

Hey cavers of the NSS Caving Forum,

I was wondering if any experienced cavers wanted to take an adventure to the bottom of IXL Cave. My friend and I already visited the cave's party room (we're both 14 years old). However, we would like an experienced caver to accompany us for the rest of the trip. We are both not at all claustrophobic, and we can fit through about any hole. If you are interested in guiding us PM me!
Georges.Casassovici
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: SFBC

Re: Looking for an experienced caver to guide us in the IXL

Postby lekenyon » Jul 1, 2021 7:23 pm

IXL - the Santa Cruz cave?

Search for the grotto closest to your area (or that area) and email them! That's how I ended up swimming in a river cave (coldwater cave) in Iowa when I was there for a summer. I've over in MA but would love to teach vertical caving. However, it's a skill you need to practice before you're at the cave site (as mistakes happen if you learn them 5 min before).
lekenyon
Infrequent Poster

Postby Georges.Casassovici » Jul 1, 2021 9:53 pm

That won't be a possibility for me. I have gotten in contact with many grottos but none of them would accept me as an underage minor unaccompanied because of liability. At the moment, I'm looking for an expert caver that is willing to take my friend and me.
Georges.Casassovici
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: SFBC

Postby David_Weaver » Jul 2, 2021 2:30 pm

Howdy!
George already contacted the closest grottos to him. We would love to bring George on some beginner cave trips. Unfortunately George's parents are reportedly uninterested in joining these trips. Due to his age we are hesitant to bring George caving without one of his parents. He is certainly welcome to come to grotto meetings - online or in person. And four years will go by faster than he thinks. Once he's 18 we can bring him along on trips even while his parents stay home.

How do other grottos address this type of situation?
David
David_Weaver
Occasional Poster

Name: David Weaver
NSS #: 53731
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum