Bad Air

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Bad Air

Postby caverx » Mar 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi all,
What are the best ways for checking for bad air? This is a newly opened cave and has never been checked out.
It is breathing pretty good though. We just want to be safe.
I need to be able to have the equipment or methods by this weekend.
Thanks
caverx
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 52927
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-Daedalus

Re: Bad Air

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Carbide lamp, cigarette lighter, a caged canary, etc., but if it is breathing as much as you say it is unlikely to have bad air.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby caverx » Mar 24, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks I was hoping for something a little more modern than the old carbide/canary trick..heh heh....but I also felt with that much air blowing
the possibility would be doubtful. I know a I saw a video yrs ago and the guy had a little bag he broke and dropped into a pit
to test the air?
caverx
Occasional Poster

Postby Billy » Mar 24, 2010 8:41 am

More modern = more $$. Get a multi-gas monitor if you're serious. We use 4-gas monitor for confined space entry. But you can rent them, with less gas capability. Just make sure you know what you are concerned about - %O2, H2S, etc., when you make your decision. If you have that much air movement though, a multi-gas monitor is going a bit over the top.
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby caverx » Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Just want to be safe!
caverx
Occasional Poster

Postby caverx » Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Billy where are you going in Illinois that you need one like that?
caverx
Occasional Poster

Postby Billy » Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

A long time ago I used to do work on Superfund sites, but these days it's a project involving groundwater recharge, infiltration basins, permeable pavement and <hopefully> less stormwater/cso run off - meaning I get the lovely opportunity to go into sewers to install/maintain acoustic meters to measure change in flow. O2 and H2S are the prime concerns, but I wouldn't hanker to being blown up either. Some sewers are better than others...
Billy
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 24, 2010 8:38 pm

I personally have been subjected to this twice, once in Linsaby Cave in western Kentucky and once in Yankee Hole in central Tenn.You will know it .In both cases I had trouble catching my breath, like if I were running hard but was standing still.Both times I pulled out a bic lighter to confirm and there was a gap in the flame.The first time I noticed before others in my group and thought I was having a medical issue.You may also notice a stale smell to the air as well.In Yankee Hole I was told it is a seasonal issue and I agree because I have been a few times and only had bad air once.In Yankee hole ,once we got several people off the bottom it was better, really scary in the bottom of a pit.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby caverx » Mar 25, 2010 7:22 am

Dang Billy sewer work huh? I bet caves look great compared to that...
I used to do a lot of caving in Perry County Missouri and Crevice Cave had an issue with a local slaughter house
dumping its waste into the upper system which eventually polluted a section of the cave under a 110' rappel.
They closed it when some cavers got ill and had serious issues getting out. The system eventually cleaned itself and is now open again.
I also did a rappel into a 160' crevice in Mexico where I experienced bad air. Before my buddy's could come
down I knew something was up. Had a hell of a time coming up out of that one.
caverx
Occasional Poster

Postby Billy » Mar 25, 2010 10:34 am

Dang Billy sewer work huh? I bet caves look great compared to that

As Bluto Blutarsky said "Christ! Seven years of college down the drain!" <gawd help me, more>.
I believe I know of that area, at least a section similar to what you describe, in Crevice, although I missed the last trip there. I've heard of at least one passage in Crevice described as 'the stinkiest passage I've ever been in'. If you've caved with Chad, he's seen some pictures of my 'sewer adventures' ...
Billy
Frequent Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum