Lost Creek Cave Rescue

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Lost Creek Cave Rescue

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 26, 2006 9:36 pm

Article on a cave rescue in Georgia

Catoosa News Article

Can't comment on the details of the rescue itself, but definitely sounds like the reporter at least tried to do their homework and got a number of the details on techniques, etc right.

Of course I find a irony in the stepmother's comment:
Sandra Gordy, stepmother of one of the cavers, said that they had been in the cave many times before and knew what they were doing. “The problem was that they didn’t have enough light, their flashlight burnt out on them and they became disoriented. The best thing for them to do was to stay put, which is what they did.â€
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Hatch » Jan 28, 2006 12:53 pm

It definitely sounds like they had 1 flashlight between 5 people to me. I was also disappointed the reporter gave fairly good directions to the cave in the article.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby mgmills » Jan 28, 2006 10:18 pm

Hatch wrote:It definitely sounds like they had 1 flashlight between 5 people to me. I was also disappointed the reporter gave fairly good directions to the cave in the article.

The cave is probably so well known that most locals already know where it is anyway . . . :wink:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum