NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 19, 2010 9:21 am

Am I reading the online registration correctly, that the cost of the textbook ($20) is not included in the registration fee? It was included previously, right?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Am I reading the online registration correctly, that the cost of the textbook ($20) is not included in the registration fee? It was included previously, right?

According to the seminar brochure:

Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques, 2008 edition or later – Required text for class, bring your own or order one here.
Price in advance is $20.00. Price at Seminar is $40.00
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Am I reading the online registration correctly, that the cost of the textbook ($20) is not included in the registration fee? It was included previously, right?

Since we started using the manual, I don't believe other than the first year it was included in the registration price.

First year it was since EVERYONE needed a copy. After that, presumably if you're coming back, you don't need to buy another copy, so no point in printing another copy (and killing perfectly good trees) or charging you for something you need need.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Ohhhhh, I see. The Manual is the back half of the binder. I was thinking maybe I got some book that I don't remember or lost. Thanks, y'all!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Alright, I'm official. All signed up for level 3. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Alright, I'm official. All signed up for level 3. :woohoo:

Yeah, I'm sighed up for the Team Operations and Field Exercise pilot course.
I'm really looking forward to it. :banana:
Don't forget to practice your entrance skills folks.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm

FYI - Steve Hudson sent an email today to all those registered for this year's weeklong. Here's the answers to a few earlier questions in this topic:

Students are encouraged to arrange their own transportation to and from the airport. Contact the registrar well in advance if you require assistance with transportation or ride sharing.

On site registration begins 5pm Friday, and the seminar starts at 8am Saturday.

Pre and post seminar caving trips may be available for those interested. Contact NCRC 2010 Registrar Jane Morgan for details.

Cavers who have recently caved in affected areas of the US should be careful to clean and disinfect all your caving clothes, boots, vertical gear and cave packs prior to arrival to help prevent the possible spread of White Nose Syndrome to our local caves and endanger our bats. Georgia is now a border state to another state with confirmed WNS infected cave sites. We will have a cleaning and decontamination site set up at the Seminar per the latest WNS decontamination guidelines available at the time.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby polrbear » Apr 22, 2010 7:46 pm

It seems all of my concerns about going are now moot. I just spent a few days in the hospital and will not be off unilateral arm lifting restrictions until after the class would be completed. I hope to meet osme of you next year, where I should have fewer problems attending.

Thanks for the help thus far!

Dustin
polrbear
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dustin
NSS #: 56096
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Minnesota Speleological Survey

Postby ronsdavis » May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I’m trying to build a kit for the seminar with only gear that has already been on the east coast. Sequoia National Park has strict rules about not using any gear that has EVER been used in WNS states in the park. It is only a matter of time before AL joins the list of blacklisted states. I’ve managed to borrow everything but a harness, helmet and micro rack. I’d like to avoid buying new ones when I get back, so if somebody may have extra they can lend me for the seminar I’d appreciate it.
Also, is anybody coming from Birmingham? I’ll be flying in before noon Friday, and leaving Sunday afternoon if anybody wants to carpool or share a rental.
Thanks,
Ron Davis
ronsdavis
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tim White » May 12, 2010 7:47 am

Ron- Just follow the directions that should have been included in your registration packet for decon of your gear and you should be good to go. If you have any questions the best and fastest way to get the correct answer is ask the Jane Morgan,the Registrar 2010registrar@ncrc.info or Steve Hudson, Site Coordinator 2010seminar@ncrc.info
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2010 11:16 am

ronsdavis wrote:I’m trying to build a kit for the seminar with only gear that has already been on the east coast. Sequoia National Park has strict rules about not using any gear that has EVER been used in WNS states in the park.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully somebody with spare gear will be able to help you out.

Tim White wrote:Ron- Just follow the directions that should have been included in your registration packet for decon of your gear and you should be good to go.

Tim, I think you misunderstood what Ron is saying. I assume Sequoia is his local caving area. If he brings his gear with him to NCRC in a WNS or border state, the NPS forbids him from using it back there even if he decons it. This is their rules. It may not make any difference in the long term, but they call the shots. Earlier in the topic Roger posted about this as an excuse to buy more gear. They have multiple complete sets, right down to helmets and headlamps.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby ronsdavis » May 12, 2010 12:47 pm

NZ,
Correct. I'm well versed in the decon protocol, my gear has gone through it twenty times or more at this point. But my gear has never been near WNS. As long as the NPS has a ban on WNS/border gear, I won't be using anything I bring in the park again.
That said, I've almost completed a full borrowed kit. At this point I'm down to just the helmet. If it comes down to it, I buy a new helmet, and use this one as a loaner helmet outside the park system.
ronsdavis
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » May 23, 2010 1:07 am

Wow, what a fun and productive week. All 6 IQ candidates passed (was there ever any doubt)!
I'm safely home in KS, arrived at 1030pm after an 11.5hour drive. Ouch...
Can't wait to see how excited Nick and Natalie are in a few hours when they realize, "Dad's home."

Thanks everybody for a fabulous seminar!

Jay Kennedy MD
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Stridergdm » May 24, 2010 7:31 am

Umm, so how was it?

Where was the mock? What was the scenario?

And I'm still bummed I couldn't make it, but had a blast with other stuff (including my 25th HS reunion.... umm damn I'm getting older.)

I am already excited about next year.

Oh and Jay, congrats. Always nice to see another Doctor join the ranks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » May 24, 2010 8:13 am

L3 was great. The mock was in Tumbling Rock. Professor Alan Padgett fell into a 30' pit. Two of his four students left to get help and got lost. Later another left and made the call out. Eventually, the student that stayed with the Prof got lost too. Prof Alan had a leg injury and was carried out. Two lost students were found and exited under their own power. One student was carried out with a leg injury. The last person left the parking lot at 5pm. A pretty smooth operation from my point of view.

Puerto Rico next year. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum