NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 2, 2009 12:11 pm

Never too early to mark your calendars: May 15-22, 2010
http://www.caves.org/ncrc/national/2010 ... ar2010.htm

I'll be there for level 3. :banana:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Postby caverdoc » Sep 2, 2009 3:38 pm

Scott: awesome job, thanks for getting this posted!

I just sent my Instructor packet in but if I don't get selected/not enough for IQ class I'll be coming down for another round of Level 3. Doug and Mel really put on a great L3 class this year in Indiana, and Bill Putnam had some valuable stuff also. Hauling him out of Hoosier National Forest Swallow Hole ("HNFSH") during our advanced "mock-mock" was great learning exercise for highlines.

Maybe this time I'll actually go underground on the mock (instead of sitting in ops with a phone stuck to my ear :clap: )

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby NZcaver » Sep 2, 2009 5:07 pm

caverdoc wrote:Maybe this time I'll actually go underground on the mock (instead of sitting in ops with a phone stuck to my ear) :clap:

Looking good! :goodjob:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 2, 2009 9:39 pm

NZcaver wrote:
caverdoc wrote:Maybe this time I'll actually go underground on the mock (instead of sitting in ops with a phone stuck to my ear) :clap:

Looking good! :goodjob:

You know, you put all the hard work into providing good "on hold" music and get no thanks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL - WNS concerns

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm

As of today, AL and GA are both officially WNS adjacent states. What effect will this have on operations for the Mentone seminar? Will privately-owned caves be available? SCCI caves? Sorry, but we western cavers are mostly blissfully ignorant of what is still available under the USFWS ban.

I would like to know what is available before shelling out the registration and airfare to get to Alabama. Any official or pseudo-official response would be appreciated. I assume I will have to spray 409 on all my gear as well?

WNS sucks.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL - WNS concerns

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

jaa45993 wrote:As of today, AL and GA are both officially WNS adjacent states. What effect will this have on operations for the Mentone seminar? Will privately-owned caves be available? SCCI caves? Sorry, but we western cavers are mostly blissfully ignorant of what is still available under the USFWS ban.

I would like to know what is available before shelling out the registration and airfare to get to Alabama. Any official or pseudo-official response would be appreciated. I assume I will have to spray 409 on all my gear as well?

WNS sucks.

I can't give you anything official, but...
The BORC is meeting this weekend so I'm sure this will come up. And I expect that by Monday there will be an official answer.

I know there has been some discussion about "what to do" in this event and so far no one has outright called for canceling the class. But I think the BORC will take all of the information under discussion and make a decision this weekend.

Being a part of the NSS, besides teaching cave rescue, the NCRC obviously has a requirement to keep cave and cave environment preservation in mind.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 17, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks, I'll wait til Monday then.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Feb 24, 2010 12:45 am

USF&W does not own caves in GA or AL (or at least not the ones pertinant to the seminar). The organizers have spoken to the DNR (Department of Natural Resources?) which does own and manage several caves. They have a plan about what can be done without putting any bats at risk. Ohter caves are privately owned. So the seminar is on. It'll be a good'ne.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Feb 24, 2010 9:59 am

cavedoc wrote:USF&W does not own caves in GA or AL (or at least not the ones pertinant to the seminar). The organizers have spoken to the DNR (Department of Natural Resources?) which does own and manage several caves. They have a plan about what can be done without putting any bats at risk. Ohter caves are privately owned. So the seminar is on. It'll be a good'ne.

Thanks for the update.
I'm really looking forward to the weeklong. I put my name in the hat for the pilot program they are going to have this year.
It looks like fun.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

junkman wrote:
cavedoc wrote:USF&W does not own caves in GA or AL (or at least not the ones pertinant to the seminar). The organizers have spoken to the DNR (Department of Natural Resources?) which does own and manage several caves. They have a plan about what can be done without putting any bats at risk. Ohter caves are privately owned. So the seminar is on. It'll be a good'ne.

Thanks for the update.
I'm really looking forward to the weeklong. I put my name in the hat for the pilot program they are going to have this year.
It looks like fun.

It should be. I know a couple of instructors that have said, "Hmm, maybe I should sign up for that instead of teaching!" :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

I'll be there, my second "national" weeklong (after enjoying two very rewarding/fun regional weeklongs). And no, I do NOT plan on arriving with the "Kansas Rescue Cache."
Leaving...now that may be a different story.

I'm looking forward to having a roof over my head, flush 'mode and those little holes in the plastic wall plates that shock you when you stick your tongue in them.

Ah, caving....much more fun than a colonoscopy, but in many ways, very similar.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Tim White » Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm

The NSS Website seems to not be pointing to the http://www.NCRC.info site again, so if anyone is interested in registering, the direct link to the registration system is:

https://www.regonline.com/63383_756661J
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Feb 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Tim White wrote:The NSS Website seems to not be pointing to the http://www.NCRC.info site again, so if anyone is interested in registering, the direct link to the registration system is:

The NCRC website has been down for a couple of days now.
When I attempt to log in I get the following:

Forbidden
You do not have permission to access this document.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 25, 2010 10:23 pm

junkman wrote:
Tim White wrote:The NSS Website seems to not be pointing to the http://www.NCRC.info site again, so if anyone is interested in registering, the direct link to the registration system is:

The NCRC website has been down for a couple of days now.
When I attempt to log in I get the following:

Forbidden
You do not have permission to access this document.

Yeah, known issue, being worked on . In the meantime, use the URL Tim gave.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kmstill » Mar 5, 2010 5:23 am

caverdoc wrote:I'll be there, my second "national" weeklong (after enjoying two very rewarding/fun regional weeklongs). And no, I do NOT plan on arriving with the "Kansas Rescue Cache."

Jay (or anyone else headed from/through the midwest)-

I'm planning on attending and have my registration in...now how to get there? On the fence between flying and driving, if anyone is interested in carpooling that would probably tip the decision. I'll be coming out of Ames, IA - that could either involve heading south to Saint Louis and then east or east on 80 first then south. I should be reasonably flexible on travel dates as long as I know in advance. I'm happy to drive or ride and help w/ gas. But Jay- if I drive, there's a limit to how much stuff will fit in the cab :tonguecheek:

If there's carpool interest let me know, otherwise I'll probably be purchasing a plane ticket about mid-April.

Kelly
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum