NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Postby NZcaver » Mar 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Stridergdm wrote:Hey, you could fly into DC and drive down with me :-)

Not completely out of the question, but frankly the all-night driving followed by attending the update with sleep deficit does not sound very appealing. :hitsfan:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Bill Putnam » Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

NZcaver wrote:I'm thinking of flying into Chattanooga, but I can't book flights until I know where I'll be leaving from. Situation normal for me!

If you fly into Atlanta you can catch a ride with me or Tim or one of the other Atlanta residents.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby NZcaver » Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Bill Putnam wrote:
NZcaver wrote:I'm thinking of flying into Chattanooga, but I can't book flights until I know where I'll be leaving from. Situation normal for me!

If you fly into Atlanta you can catch a ride with me or Tim or one of the other Atlanta residents.

Thanks for the offer, Bill. Maybe it will be me who owes you a beer this year? :big grin:

Once I know where I'm coming from, I'll start to look at flights and figure things out. The Atlanta connection might actually work. You playing with level 3 again this year, or doing the TOFE thing?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 1, 2010 12:42 am

I'll be with the TOFE class this year. I never do the same thing two years in a row. Plus I'm really excited about the new Field Exercises class. It's just the thing that NCRC has needed for a long time now.

There are lots of flights in and out of Atlanta, but sometimes it's actually cheaper to connect through Atlanta and end in Chattanooga, Huntsville, or Birmingham. All four cities are within about 2 hours driving time from the seminar site, and all have folks who will be attending that you can catch a ride with.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 1, 2010 9:00 am

Bill Putnam wrote:I'll be with the TOFE class this year. I never do the same thing two years in a row. Plus I'm really excited about the new Field Exercises class. It's just the thing that NCRC has needed for a long time now.

Ha, well you'll get me for two years in a row... :big grin:
I'm looking forward to this class.
Will there be a "minimal equipment day" or will we have full cache all the time?
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 1, 2010 12:06 pm

junkman wrote:
Bill Putnam wrote:I'll be with the TOFE class this year. I never do the same thing two years in a row. Plus I'm really excited about the new Field Exercises class. It's just the thing that NCRC has needed for a long time now.

Ha, well you'll get me for two years in a row... :big grin:
Will there be a "minimal equipment day" or will we have full cache all the time?

You will be given 2 shoelaces (per person), a rusty old iron pulley, two of those large "carrying carabiners" you can find at Home Depot and 3 unmatched dirty socks. That's day one.

Day 2 they take away the pulley.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2010 2:47 pm

Stridergdm wrote:You will be given 2 shoelaces (per person), a rusty old iron pulley, two of those large "carrying carabiners" you can find at Home Depot and 3 unmatched dirty socks. That's day one.

But wait. Isn't that a list of your own personal gear you bring along every year? The so-called "Moore cache?" :rofl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 1, 2010 6:27 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Stridergdm wrote:You will be given 2 shoelaces (per person), a rusty old iron pulley, two of those large "carrying carabiners" you can find at Home Depot and 3 unmatched dirty socks. That's day one.

But wait. Isn't that a list of your own personal gear you bring along every year? The so-called "Moore cache?" :rofl:

Hey, at least some of don't own at least one of every piece of gear out there. *I* don't need a shipping container for my caving gear. Unlike SOME people here.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2010 6:43 pm

Stridergdm wrote:Hey, at least some of don't own at least one of every piece of gear out there. *I* don't need a shipping container for my caving gear. Unlike SOME people here.

:excuseme:

Did you hear that, Dr Jay? He's insulting you. :down: Are you going to take that?? :boxing: :bash:

Of course you know deep down he has a bad case of gear envy. :drool: Like every other jealous caver, I guess. :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby caverdoc » Apr 1, 2010 11:18 pm

Shipping container? It's called a Jeep Compass, so basically it's a shipping container with it's own engine, etc. The CPU that directs it is a version 2.1 and sometimes need to be rebooted.

Actually, it's rebooted every day. About 0630...

Your gear envy is...laborious. Now, back to stroking my new Petzl rescue pulleys.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby NZcaver » Apr 2, 2010 1:27 am

*Small confession* - I recently up-sized my vehicle to a Ford Expedition, because the old Explorer was getting too problematic with high mileage and other issues. Plus I could no longer fit all my gear in it. :oops: Interestingly the gas mileage is about the same, and since I don't have to regularly commute anywhere it's pretty handy for the type of road trips I do.

That said, these days I mostly fly to NCRC events. Thanks to airline baggage fees I have learned to optimize my packing.

Another small confession... as I recall, I haven't acquired a single item of caving equipment since the ICS last July. :shhh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby caverdoc » Apr 2, 2010 9:25 am

JC I was joking about the new pulleys. Doug at Karst Sports knows I'm looking for them, though!

I have not bought any new caving gear since the MVOR in the fall of '09.

Must be the levelling out the bins finally!
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby cavedoc » Apr 2, 2010 12:07 pm

NZcaver wrote:Another small confession... as I recall, I haven't acquired a single item of caving equipment since the ICS last July. :shhh:

We just made major purchases, for the most part duplicates. We now each have a WNS free gear box and a WNS-exposed(?) box. If you're feeling the need for gear this may be just the excuse you need.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 2, 2010 12:52 pm

junkman wrote:Ha, well you'll get me for two years in a row... :big grin:

I'm really looking forward to it as well, Carl. We're going to have a blast - in the field all day every day all week long!

The emphasis for the Field Exercises class is on developing efficiency and adaptability with the equipment and methods taught in L1 and L2. We might incorporate a few elements from L3, such as moving directionals, but we probably won't be doing much "minimal equipment" stuff - that is still in the domain of L3. Our goal is to reinforce and strengthen the team-oriented methods of L1 and L2, and to give students the opportunity to explore the use of those methods in many different scenarios. Hopefully you will develop a much better understanding of them and increased efficiency in using them. And have a lot of fun underground in the process!

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 2, 2010 6:27 pm

cavedoc wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Another small confession... as I recall, I haven't acquired a single item of caving equipment since the ICS last July. :shhh:

We just made major purchases, for the most part duplicates. We now each have a WNS free gear box and a WNS-exposed(?) box. If you're feeling the need for gear this may be just the excuse you need.

I already have more-or-less complete sets of gear on each coast. For major technical stuff, I'd rather rely on local cavers and local caches. Of course we also have that enormous pile of bleached gear known as the national cache.

Oh, I just realized I did acquire gear last November which is somewhat related to caving. Do a hundred field phones count? I'm guessing most of you would say they do. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum