NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2010, Mentone, AL

Postby Tadpole » Mar 7, 2010 1:40 pm

I know I'm getting excited about the weeklong this year. Not only will I get to see all my buddies and catch up with everyone, but getting to spend a week in the North Georgia, Alabama area is awesome! Totally excited about the pilot class, it will take all the Level 1 and 2 skills (which are the prereqs. for the class) into the field for a week of practice scenarios. Those skills and tools that you talk about, and sometimes see, but not everyone gets to touch and use, will show up in Team Operations and Field Exercises (TOFE). We'll have the opportunity to really hone in our skills with practice, practice, practice! We'll pull the "whole picture" together in different environments, incorporating the technical aspects of rescue, rigging and such, with comm, ICS, patient care and general problem solving. While it's not on the general info. about the seminar, TOFE will show up when you go to register, so don't be dissuaded. It should be great, but it IS a PILOT CLASS and space is limited!!
“I'm not a diva. I'm a tadpole
trying to be a frog.”- Toni Braxton
Tadpole
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rebecca Land Segrest
NSS #: 49605

Postby Carl Amundson » Mar 7, 2010 7:07 pm

Tadpole wrote:I know I'm getting excited about the weeklong this year. Not only will I get to see all my buddies and catch up with everyone, but getting to spend a week in the North Georgia, Alabama area is awesome! Totally excited about the pilot class, it will take all the Level 1 and 2 skills (which are the prereqs. for the class) into the field for a week of practice scenarios. Those skills and tools that you talk about, and sometimes see, but not everyone gets to touch and use, will show up in Team Operations and Field Exercises (TOFE). We'll have the opportunity to really hone in our skills with practice, practice, practice! We'll pull the "whole picture" together in different environments, incorporating the technical aspects of rescue, rigging and such, with comm, ICS, patient care and general problem solving. While it's not on the general info. about the seminar, TOFE will show up when you go to register, so don't be dissuaded. It should be great, but it IS a PILOT CLASS and space is limited!!

There might be a little Level 3 improvisation also... :big grin:
(will it work; is it safe)
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Carl Amundson » Mar 9, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey Tim or Rebecca,
What will the entrance skills testing be for the pilot program; Level 2 or Level 3?
I'm thinking it will be Level 3 entrance skills, but I hate to assume.

Carl
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Mar 10, 2010 12:36 pm

TOFE (Lvl X or what ever we call it) is only Lvl 1 and 2 skills. There will not really be traditional entrance skill testing as you are accustom to, but rather a review of the students skill level. This will allow the instructors to get a better understanding of where each student is and what area we might need to focus on. This is a class of reviewing, learning and practicing practical and foundational cave rescue skills.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Mar 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Darn, I was hoping to better my Level 3 SRT skills test of 7min 30 sec. :big grin:
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 10, 2010 7:47 pm

junkman wrote:Darn, I was hoping to better my Level 3 SRT skills test of 7min 30 sec. :big grin:

Hmm, I think the standard that was set was 7 minutes and 29 seconds. So sorry. :big grin:
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Tadpole » Mar 15, 2010 10:42 am

I'll be happy to pull out a stop watch just for you Junkman!
“I'm not a diva. I'm a tadpole
trying to be a frog.”- Toni Braxton
Tadpole
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rebecca Land Segrest
NSS #: 49605

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am

Just signed up Bonny for Level 2 and me for Level 3! :banana: :bananabat: :banana:

See you there in two months!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby polrbear » Mar 30, 2010 12:01 pm

I intend to register for the weeklong shortly, but need help with one thing: logistics. What's the best way to get from one of the airports (prefer Atlanta) to Mentone without renting a car? It seems wasteful to rent a car to let it sit for a week while I'm in the class. Are there any carpools going or group transport arrranged?

Mentone is certainly out of the way of everything--great for the class itself, but tough to get there!
polrbear
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dustin
NSS #: 56096
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Minnesota Speleological Survey

Postby NZcaver » Mar 30, 2010 2:27 pm

polrbear wrote:I intend to register for the weeklong shortly, but need help with one thing: logistics. What's the best way to get from one of the airports (prefer Atlanta) to Mentone without renting a car? It seems wasteful to rent a car to let it sit for a week while I'm in the class. Are there any carpools going or group transport arrranged?

Mentone is certainly out of the way of everything--great for the class itself, but tough to get there!

Welcome to the forum. That's a very good question. I was looking through the seminar info last night, and wondering the same thing.

I suggest contacting the seminar staff directly - http://www.caves.org/ncrc/national/2010 ... ts2010.htm

If you find out, feel free to post the answer. See you there!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 30, 2010 4:05 pm

polrbear wrote:I intend to register for the weeklong shortly, but need help with one thing: logistics. What's the best way to get from one of the airports (prefer Atlanta) to Mentone without renting a car? It seems wasteful to rent a car to let it sit for a week while I'm in the class. Are there any carpools going or group transport arrranged?

That's a great question. As NZcaver suggested, contact the staff. Generally they'll develop a list of times and people who are flying in, etc. and try to arrange some carpooling or the like.

I know last year I ended up being co-opted into picking someone in Indianapolis. They had arrived on a bus. I met them at a random sidewalk :-)

BTW, I would also recommend looking at other airports such as Chattanooga. While often more expensive, sometimes it's actually cheaper and the distance isn't all that different.

I still haven't decided how I'm getting there. I suspect driving. But we'll see.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Cross-posted with Stridergdm
polrbear wrote:What's the best way to get from one of the airports (prefer Atlanta) to Mentone without renting a car?

We're flying into Nashville, my folks live there, and it is only about 2 hours away. You could also check out Chattanooga and Huntsville. Both are very close to Mentone and I was surprised how affordable the flights into HSV were. Birmingham can't be all that far either and I'm sure there will be cavers driving in from all four cities. If there is no seminar-sponsored transport, maybe you could check with the Nashville, Huntsville, Birmingham, or Dogwood City Grottos for help.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Stridergdm wrote:I still haven't decided how I'm getting there. I suspect driving. But we'll see.

I assume you're planning to arrive on Thursday Greg? If you're driving, you could pick me at at the airport on the way if you want to. :wink:

I'm thinking of flying into Chattanooga, but I can't book flights until I know where I'll be leaving from. Situation normal for me!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

I suspect folks may be on their own (or may have to arrange their own carpooling) this year.

Several times in previous years, the info brochures have stated "Students are encouraged to arrange their own transportation to and from
the airport. Contact the registrar well in advance if you want help with transportation." Last year volunteer staff/instructors kindly provided shuttle transportation (1 hr 45min drive each way!) for those who gave advance notice.

These offerings are conspicuously absent in this year's brochure. There's no harm in contacting the seminar staff to ask for carpool suggestions. :shrug: Or just keep bugging people here on the forum, and see what happens.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

NZcaver wrote:
Stridergdm wrote:I still haven't decided how I'm getting there. I suspect driving. But we'll see.

I assume you're planning to arrive on Thursday Greg? If you're driving, you could pick me at at the airport on the way if you want to. :wink:

I'm thinking of flying into Chattanooga, but I can't book flights until I know where I'll be leaving from. Situation normal for me!

Actually not sure when I'll get in. I may have to work that Thursday meaning driving in through most of the night if I do. I hate doing that though since I start with a sleep deficit.

The train is tempting (that's how I usually get to Georgia) but then I need a ride from the station to the event and won't get there until Noon or so.

Hey, you could fly into DC and drive down with me :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum