Handhold breaks

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Handhold breaks

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Last weekend, a caver buddy of mine was doing a 8' climbdown in a local cave. Two cavers had just completed the climbdown without incident. But when he swung out on the 'bomber' hand hold, it snapped. While in mid-air, he managed to push the 80lb chunk away before it landed on his head. He landed flat on his back on fairly smooth, flat floor. The landing knocked the wind out of him. He stood up, got dizzy, sat down and passed out. He came to about 30 seconds later saying that he was feeling better than he's felt in weeks. He had a couple bruises and scrapes, otherwise in fine shape.

Moral of the story, expect caves to break when you least expect it. If you feel it's safe, give a caver a spot.

Bill P: PM me and I'll put you in touch with the folks that should write an accident report for you. I wasn't there. I told them they need to write one, maybe a not from you would inspire them.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 13, 2006 4:53 pm

That reminds me of Hazel Barton's accident. Two people in front of her had climbed on a boulder and it was fine. She climbed on it, and it rolled. Go figure.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

rolling rocks

Postby tropicalbats » Jan 14, 2006 2:56 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:That reminds me of Hazel Barton's accident. Two people in front of her had climbed on a boulder and it was fine. She climbed on it, and it rolled. Go figure.

Bam,

That reminds me of the bit in the Dominican Republic where we were crossing a nasty bit of canyon wall. I and Negro had made the crossing while you nearly met your maker when a rock rolled that we had both stepped on.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby cave rat » Jan 14, 2006 5:17 am

Sounds like the same thing that happen to me a couple of years ago. Was climbing out of a nerd hole on my friends place, reached up to get a hand hold to pull myself out of the hole, and pulled about 30 to 50 pounds of rock down on top of me. Cut up my face, hands, and legs. Helmet saved my skull from being crushed. :doh: :hairpull:
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

rocks that fall in slow motion....

Postby eyecave » Jan 14, 2006 6:06 pm

:shock: ....my theory is that rocks can fall in extremely slow motion...i have seen things happen just like the subject described..... :shock:
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: sewanee mountain grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum