We're FEMA and we're here to help...

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Outworld » May 5, 2006 1:29 am

Okay, we will knock it off.
On a caving related topic...In the event of an immense storm that decimates dozens of caving locations, trapping and injuring thousands of cavers, ......
kidding Tim.... :laughing:
Bruce Hagen EMT-P
Director of Training,
Belize Institute for Tropical and Wilderness Medicine.
Belize Cave and Wilderness Rescue Team
Outworld
Infrequent Poster

Postby kmstill » Dec 6, 2006 11:03 pm

Quick note, ignoring the political sensitivities-
DHS offers a range of really good training courses at their Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston, AL. I recently attended their Agroterrorism course and it was some of the best training I've had (students ranged from vets to USDA folks to a bunch of firefighters/ HAZMAT responders, and a handful of others). They have a range of courses including ICS and HAZMAT (think meth labs in caves). I believe the courses/transport/lodging/meals are free for civilian agency (fire rescue/ police type) folks. Apparently these training opportunities are largely under the radar for many people, and those of you with official agency type connections may find it worth looking into.
Kelly
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Postby Outworld » Dec 6, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi Kelly,
Good point. I have attended both that course and the explosives course offered in NM. They are excellent courses taught by highly motivated instructors.
Bruce Hagen EMT-P
Director of Training,
Belize Institute for Tropical and Wilderness Medicine.
Belize Cave and Wilderness Rescue Team
Outworld
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dane » Dec 7, 2006 11:07 am

I beieve the HazMat course in Anniston is one of, if not the only such course, that uses live agents.
In HazMat circles, it is the premier such course - I would asume all of their courses are of the same caliber.

BTW, it is good to have you onboard Kim.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Previous

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum