NCRC National Weeklong 2009

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: NCRC National Weeklong 2009

Postby shibumi » Apr 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Jess wants me to remind everyone that the early registration deadline of May 4 is fast approaching!
Also that the registration cut-off is June 4. Save $50, register now!
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Journalismstudent » Apr 28, 2009 1:51 pm

I would be very interested to speak with anyone attending. Please private message me. Thanks. SAM***** :woohoo:
I am here to learn.
Journalismstudent
Infrequent Poster

Name: Samantha

Postby Spark85 » May 1, 2009 10:33 pm

I jut mailed my check today. I can hardly wait to attend my first NCRC weeklong seminar.
Spark85
Infrequent Poster

Name: Todd McCartney
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby Tadpole » May 3, 2009 6:35 pm

ek wrote:. . . going to the weeklong, it will not be with any clothing or gear . . .

You know, if everyone shows up without clothing or gear, it could make for a very interesting weeklong seminar. The gear we could probably purchase onsite, but the clothing- Well, that could be trickier.
“I'm not a diva. I'm a tadpole
trying to be a frog.”- Toni Braxton
Tadpole
Infrequent Poster

Name: Rebecca Land Segrest
NSS #: 49605

Postby Stridergdm » May 4, 2009 5:48 am

Tadpole wrote:
ek wrote:. . . going to the weeklong, it will not be with any clothing or gear . . .

You know, if everyone shows up without clothing or gear, it could make for a very interesting weeklong seminar. The gear we could probably purchase onsite, but the clothing- Well, that could be trickier.

Oh, I'm sure Lost Creek and Gonzo Guano Gear would be more than willing to sell you some clothing! :woohoo:
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » May 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Reminder: Registration is still open, but the deadline is fast approaching.

I know the economy is tough for some and all of us are worried about WNS, but it's a great class and I encourage folks to go.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » May 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Also, anyone leaving from the DC area? I'm driving out THURSDAY night most likely. Details to be determined.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kmstill » Jun 1, 2009 12:42 pm

Ditto - I'll be heading east from Central IA and would be happy to see if carpooling works for anyone. Jay?
kelly
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Postby ellenhof » Jun 1, 2009 8:28 pm

I am coming - this will be my first and I'm very much looking forward to it. Something I've been wanting to do for years.
Carpooling sounds like a great idea. I'm driving from Asheville, NC and will have plenty of room.
ALSO, I was wondering about camping vs motel. What will most of you be doing? And is there anyone staying at the motel who would like to share a room? I have no preference other than non-smoker, non-snorer. What do you all recommend? camping or motelling?
Thank you and see you soon (with clean gear)!
Ellen Hofler
ellenhof
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ellen Hofler
NSS #: 43665
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 1, 2009 9:05 pm

Most of us camp.
You get the full experience that way.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Jun 1, 2009 9:27 pm

junkman wrote:Most of us camp.
You get the full experience that way.

Agreed. And from a practical standpoint, when you stay on site there's less travel time and hassle at the beginning and end of each very loooooooong day.

No carpooling for me this year. I'll be flying.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 1, 2009 9:31 pm

Yes, camp. Or, stay where everyone else is staying. You'll miss a lot of comradery if you leave at night. Any bonds you build will pay dividends later in the week.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 1, 2009 10:51 pm

I'd go with "camp" also. About 1/2 of the value of the weeklong is the time spent after class hours.

That said, a friendly reminder. Technically we are on a school campus so certain rules are in effect. I can't comment on enforcement.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jun 1, 2009 11:32 pm

Kelly, sorry about the carpooling, I'll be leaving very early Friday morning. Plan is to arrive early PM on Friday and set up my big green Coleman family "pagoda of doom" tent. Hey, it survived the Indiana convention OK! I considered going the hotel route but that's a lot of $$$=gear, so camping it will be. With any luck most of the ticks, chiggers and mosquitos will focus on me early on and leave the late arrivals alone. I'm going to REALLY try and not lug a bunch of extra crap with me. We'll see...

I'll have the usual assortment of medical odds and ends, mostly emergency stuff. I recommend that anybody with asthma, allergies, etc be sure to bring their current inhaler, meds, etc. Typically I roll with some emergency drugs--NTG, epi, benadryl and an albuterol MDI--but limited andiarrheals, abx, etc. I'd also recommend folks bring their water-flavoring goo of choice (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) to help stay hydrated in the heat/humidity. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen may be wise.

Hopefully everybody has downloaded the testing packet. For Level 3, don't forget that the SRT pretest is a bit different than for Level 2. You need to cross a knot both ascending/descending, downclimb 2m with your system and otherwise don/climb 10m and do a changeover to rappel, like in Level 2. I've been practicing my knot cross in the tree out back, it's pretty easy once you do it a couple dozen times and have all your slings adjusted correctly.

Don't forget to mark all your gear with name/color code. Including wetsuit/ PFD (level 3's, you DO have your wetsuit and PFD?)if required. After all, I hear NCRC courses draw a lot of gear addicts who may decide to claim your unmarked gear. :yikes: Again, the gear list is on the national NCRC site. FWIW, I'm green/blue color code.

I'm looking forward to caving with many of you for the first time, as well as connecting again with friends who didn't learn better the last time! :doh: Stay safe, enjoy the ride. If you need anything, you can email me at caver_doc(at)hotmail.com or if you're on the road, I'll have my cell turned on in Indiana 785-917-0983.

Dr Jay
(dog tired after a Loooooong day in clinic....)
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 2, 2009 10:53 am

I will be leaving on Thursday after work, drive for a few hours and then get a good nights sleep in a real bed.
Should get to Bedford sometime Friday afternoon.
Really looking forward to Level 3.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum