Onrope1 tech level 1 class

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Onrope1 tech level 1 class

Postby tncaveres » Sep 24, 2008 9:55 am

Just thought I would share this with yall.

I took the class this weekend & really enjoyed it! :kewl:
Well worth the money.
It seemed to tie in what is missing from NCRC. Both are great classes.
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Re: Onrope1 tech level 1 class

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 24, 2008 3:40 pm

I'd be curious to see you expand upon the differences and how it tied in.

I've heard good things about the On Rope1 classes, just lack of time and money prevent me from going (more time than money I suspect).
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby tncaveres » Sep 27, 2008 9:34 am

You would have to be there to understand but there was 3 of us in his class that did level 3 NCRC last yr in Roanoak. We all agreed that it helped tie in some stuff. He covers some stuff more indepth than NCRC & vis a versa NCRC covers some stuff more indepth. NCRC does not do much with highlines & he does. NCRC talks about T's . He showed us how to use it to be able to look at any haul system that is built & be able to give you the TMA. There is abunch more examples but these are just to name a few. I am not very good at putting my thoughts down on paper so it might not make not make alot of sence to yall.
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Interesting. Sounds like a great class.

We did more highline stuff back in my NCRC level 3 class than students do now. As I recall, there was a conscious decision to de-emphasize highlines because true highlines are rarely needed in cave rescues. They're a more common option in swift water canyon rescues and the like. Unfortunately there's never enough hours in the week to learn and practice everything at a pace where all students can keep up, and it was felt that other techniques such as counterbalances might be more relevant to fit the need. I believe highlines and guidelines are still covered to some extent, though. I remember learning the "T" method one year, but I'm not sure it was formally taught as part of the lesson plan. Greg may have a better recollection of this that I do, but he's busy teaching an OCR this weekend so he's probably incommunicado.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby tncaveres » Sep 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Like I said, I liked both classes. I got out of NCRC what I wanted & the same for Onrope 1.
Pluse I don't want to learn just one way to do things. I like to see other options. In level 2 they told us of the T method but never really got in depth with it. Or atleast not enough that it clicked for me. NZcaver your right about the highlines not being used much in caves . I do swiftwater rescue too so that is why I was really looking forward to learning more about the highlines in the Onrope 1 course.
I still plan on going to NCRC next yr for level 3 again . I am sure there is more I can get out of the class then what I did last time. Always new info coming in !
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 27, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm actually back from the OCR for a few hours...

But, couple of quick notes:

Technically, I don't think there's anything in the curriculum that refers to the T-system. I recall (and actually Nzcaver was there) learning about them in New Mexico when an IQ student was trying to help us help one of our fellow Level 2 students who was struggling with how to figure MA. So not all instructors may be familiar with it. However, I think it's a handy tool to have in your bag of tricks. Definitely useful to know.

And yes, I think the points you and NZcaver make are good ones. We've got only a week to teach as much as we can. And I definitely agree, that there's a real advantage to learning different and in some cases even the same skills from multiple places.

Maybe one of these years I'll find the time to take an On Rope1 course. There's a few courses I'd like to take, just time...
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum