Now this is what SAR and NCRC are all about

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Now this is what SAR and NCRC are all about

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Tim White wrote:I'm sure there was no official "talk of weapons in rescue situations" at this OCR. I too was not there so I’m unsure of the context. But I can guarantee if you hang around a certain group of Texas, Alabama or Georgia instructors, THERE will be talk of guns and weapons. That is who we are and what we do.

One of the most fun caving expeditions I ever participated in involved several thousand fired rounds with Kalashnikov AK-47's. It was great... Go bust out some cave survey, then come out and light some tish up (aka "carp") with an AK. :rofl:

Best part was when the guys from China showed up. Those guys were all ex-mandatory military, so they were on those AK's like horses on sugar cubes. :laughing:

Just about the most surreal thing ever.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Re: Now this is what SAR and NCRC are all about

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Caver John wrote:
Ernie Coffman wrote:Here's a link to a great article, showing what NCRC is showing SAR members...and vice versa on a mock removal of an injured spelunker...or caver. To me, this is what NCRC is all about, besides training new levels; and, should be assisting SAR units all over the U.S. Here's to more units getting involved, as this one in Arkansas has done. :clap:

http://www.nwanews.com:80/adg/News/236075/ :doh:

My local SAR team has done a crash coarse on cave rescue including a mock search/extrication. I think it's a great idea fOr SAR teams to practice this stuff especially if they're are caves inthe area.

Also on the subject of firearms, only a few of us on my team are proficient with firearms, with that said, I can def see the subject coming up in discussion.
I pretty much always carry during a search(above ground), for several reasons
But never in cave

We did a training class for a local reserve south of here last year (and will probably do one next year.). They loved it. They were all set for aboveground SAR, but had no experience below ground and have some caves on their property. So it was a great experience for them.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Previous

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum