Upcoming Training Classes

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Upcoming Training Classes

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 5, 2008 11:35 am

Upcoming training in various parts of the country. I thought people should be aware of what's coming up in the next few months.

Specifically I'll be helping out with the training in NY.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Re: Upcoming Training Classes

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 20, 2008 8:45 am

Just to bubble this back up to the top:

Reminder, next weekend (September 27th-28th) the Northeast Region, in conjunction with the Albany-Scoharie Cave Rescue Team is sponsoring an OCR. We're finalizing class sizes now, so please sign up immediately if you're interested. Cost is $40. I highly recommend all cavers take an OCR at some point in your career, even if you never plan on being part of a rescue team. I've had more than one cave claim it made them a safer caver, which that, in itself can make it worth it.

Thanks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 1, 2008 8:03 pm

Just a follow-up.

We had a great class (even though I had to skip out for about 5 hours to join my grandfather and family on a PT boat ride..).

The weather turned out to be far nicer than predicted so it was drier than I feared it might be.

We had I believe 22 students in the class, a good mix of cavers and agency folks.

The "practice" (not really a mock) was in Schoharie Cave (or as we told them during the "call-out" "Cook Road Cave". They found us anyway. :-)

I was an angel and we had two patients, one "hypothermic" that they were able to feed and beat and one with a "broken" tib/fib. They did a fantastic job of getting her into the Sked (I've seen students take forever to do that at some mocks and practices). We managed to get her about 2/3rds out of the cave before the instructors called it due to time. I want to emphasize though that the students did great and managed to move our patient through the hardest part of the cave in what I think was great time. And in a real rescue, we'd have had a 2nd team in there at that point to relieve them anyway. So all in all it was a success.

We also tested a new field telephone that we may adapt as part of our cache, lighter than the TA-312s we currently use. That's a huge plus.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ron_miller » Oct 3, 2008 3:50 pm

Have the dates and location for the 2009 NCRC National Seminar been finalized yet? I didn't see anything about it on the NCRC web site.
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 3, 2008 10:08 pm

ron_miller wrote:Have the dates and location for the 2009 NCRC National Seminar been finalized yet? I didn't see anything about it on the NCRC web site.

Yes. June 13 – 20, 2009 at Stalker Elementary School in Bedford, Indiana.

The website should be updated shortly and the application form will be available then. (I suppose if anyone absolutely wants to register right away, I COULD email it to them. :-)

Hope to see you all there.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum