2008 Western Region-NCRC Weeklong (I/II) - Sept 27-Oct 4

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

2008 Western Region-NCRC Weeklong (I/II) - Sept 27-Oct 4

Postby Mattboy » Jun 8, 2008 1:02 am

NCRC Western Region - NSS
Cave Rescue Operations and Management Seminar
September 27 - October 4, 2008 at California Caverns, Mountain Ranch, CA

The Operations and Management Seminar consists of extensive classroom and fieldwork in all phases of cave rescue including underground environment, vertical rescue, hauling systems, extrication techniques, medical management, communication systems, and the organization and management of cave rescue operations. Basic and advanced course material is presented for students who typically include cavers, emergency services personnel, and emergency managers.

The seminar provides approximately 100 hours of instruction over eight days. Its classes are physically strenuous and participants must be in good physical health. Students should be prepared to work in difficult situations, both above and below ground. Each student must demonstrate his or her ability to ascend (on rope) 25 meters, change over, and rappel part way down, tie off a descender, correct a jammed descender, then rappel safely to the ground as part of initial check-in skills.

All training will occur at California Caverns - which is also the campsite location. The in-cave sessions are a 5 minute walk from the campsite and the cliff work is a one minute walk from the campsite. This is an excellent training area that will allow for many field evolutions with no time lost to driving. A professionally catered meal plan is included with the seminar registration.

Courses Offered
Level 1
This level teaches current cave rescue and emergency management techniques, and provides instruction in caving, basic rope work, litter rigging and transport, and incident command systems. It is specifically designed to meet the various needs of agency personnel with little or no cave-related experience, and cavers with little or no rescue or medical experience. Level 1 prepares the student to function as a cave rescue team member.

Level 2
This level prepares students to function as cave rescue team leaders. Participants in Level 2 must have successfully completed an NCRC Level 1 course within the past four years. The Level 2 curriculum assumes that students have learned, retained and practiced the skills taught in Level 1. Students are taught more advanced techniques in medical management, vertical and horizontal rescue, team leadership and incident management.

For more information, please visit http://www.caves.org/committee/ncrc-wr/ncrc2008/

Mattboy
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 25863FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stanislaus Grotto

Re: 2008 Western Region-NCRC Weeklong (I/II) - Sept 27-Oct 4

Postby cavedoc » Jun 9, 2008 12:35 pm

I'd like to add that this is a repeat of the successful seminar of 2008. Camping and meals are onsite, only minutes walk from where field exercises will happen. The meals are prepared by a gourmet cook who had rave reviews at the last seminar. Many of the instructors at this seminar taught at this year's national seminar in Alabama and will be teaching next year in Indiana. This is the same curriculum as the national seminar. Students attending this seminar are eligible to attend the next level at the national weeklong or other regional seminars.

Roger Mortimer
Western Region Coordinator
National Cave Rescue Commission
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Celtic Caver Chic » Jul 22, 2008 3:32 am

AWSOME!!! :woohoo: YAY!!! I was SO BUMMED to miss Nat'l lvl2 this summer! Is A N Y B O D Y else from Colorado going? WHO ELSE IS GOING!?!? :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: ~Laura
http://www.nsscavers.ning.com/profile/Laura81
Celtic Caver Chic
New Poster

NSS #: 57929
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Colorado Mountain Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Aug 29, 2008 2:52 am

Early registration deadline coming up fast. Still room for NCRC level 1 and 2.

Celtic chic, there's no one else from CO signed up but you would be the 5th state represented.

Roger
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum