WNS-related concerns for 2008 NCRC weeklong

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: WNS-related concerns for 2008 NCRC weeklong

Postby Tim White » Apr 17, 2008 3:06 pm

NZcaver wrote:Good point, Tim. Hopefully my previous post won't cause too much confusion and disinformation. :oops:

At the risk of going around in circles, Greg's earlier post did say:
Stridergdm wrote:Seriously, the word I have from Mr. Hudson was: "Most of our caves are owned by the SCCi. See their website for information. SCCI.org

I thought you and Greg had answered the question very well. But if more of an OFFICIAL answer was needed, now that contact info is also here.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 17, 2008 8:12 pm

I got my Level 2 registration packet today. It has a paragraph about WNS:

"WHITE NOSE SYNDROME
Cavers who have recently caved in the northeastern US should be careful to clean and disinfect all your caving clothes, boots, vertical gear and cave packs to help prevent the possible spread of White Nose Syndrome to our local caves and endanger our bats."

That is all.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby ek » Apr 17, 2008 11:23 pm

That suggests that the NCRC policy for WNS-exposed gear is disinfect and use. (Since my clothing and gear has been in so many northeastern caves so many times, I'll wait for the official response that I have solicited.) Thanks!
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

SCCi, NCRC, and WNS: The scoop

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm

NCRC seminar staff have forwarded the question to SCCi Chairman Brian Krebs, who is also an NCRC instructor and the SCCi spokesman and liaison with NCRC for SCCi matters. I will post Brian's response when I receive it. Both Brian and I expect to be at the seminar and can answer any questions about SCCi caves and policies.

Short answer per the SCCi officers and directors discussion at the most recent board meeting: please do clean and disinfect your clothing and gear according to the recommended procedures, but it is not necessary to buy and bring all-new stuff.

Personally (speaking only for myself and not for SCCi or NCRC), I do recommend that all attendees (not just northeastern cavers) clean and inspect their gear before the seminar - not just to help prevent potential with WNS or other contamination, but also to allow full inspection of condition and fitness for use, including age, wear and tear, and potential safety issues. It's a good idea for all cavers to do this at least annually anyway.

Bill Putnam
SCCi Director and Acquisitions Chair
(and also NCRC Instructor)
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 18, 2008 1:35 pm

From SCCi Chairman and NCRC 2008 seminar liaison Brian Krebs:

At this time the SCCi’s position on cleaning gear is the same as what is posted on the website. I have spoken directly with people on the ground working on this issue, and their recommendation for cleaning is to use a bleach and water solution. I have been told that vigorous scrubbing with a soap and water solution will work as well. They are looking to remove particles that can be dropped or become airborne. At this time, the UFWS ,CDC and others do not have any idea what is causing this infection or what the cure is.

With all of that said, cleaning of the gear with a mild detergent or a bleach solution should work fine.

The SCCi officially recommends following the gear manufactures official cleaning procedure or recommendation for properly cleaning gear. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Brian Krebs
chairman@scci.org
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Previous

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum