Johnson City Tenn accident

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Johnson City Tenn accident

Postby e-doc » Apr 11, 2008 6:35 pm

e-doc
Infrequent Poster

Name: Patrick Craft
NSS #: 48315RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Mountain Empire

Re: Johnson City Tenn accident

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Glad he's okay... lucky really.

You'd think a fence would've been warning enough... but obviously not.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 12, 2008 10:11 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:Glad he's okay... lucky really.

Yesterday, I wound up by accident at the spot where a newbie mtber rode off a 40' cliff. The trail had a fork. The left fork was the main way. The right fork went down to a big flat spot on top of a big cliff. There was a big railroad timber across the trail which was badly eroding. That should have slowed or stopped most people, and 20-30' beyond that was the cliff. I'm not sure, but I guess the guy just rode over the cliff, assuming there was trail just below the lip.

I'm sorry the guy was hurt and now, about 5 months later, he's much better. But it's curious what newbs think is reasonable behavior. I always dismount and check something out before going for something I can't see. Usually I wait till the next time to attempt things like that. But blithefully riding over a cliff? I don't get it.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Apr 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
Ralph E. Powers wrote:Glad he's okay... lucky really.

Yesterday, I wound up by accident at the spot where a newbie mtber rode off a 40' cliff. The trail had a fork. The left fork was the main way. The right fork went down to a big flat spot on top of a big cliff. There was a big railroad timber across the trail which was badly eroding. That should have slowed or stopped most people, and 20-30' beyond that was the cliff. I'm not sure, but I guess the guy just rode over the cliff, assuming there was trail just below the lip.

I'm sorry the guy was hurt and now, about 5 months later, he's much better. But it's curious what newbs think is reasonable behavior. I always dismount and check something out before going for something I can't see. Usually I wait till the next time to attempt things like that. But blithefully riding over a cliff? I don't get it.

http://www.darwinawards dot com should give you a clue. In Utah there were a group of snowmobilers out having fun on the side of a mountain. Nestled in the trees is a cave with a 130' deep entrance pit big enough to swallow a snowmobile. Why those guys decided slaloming in and out of those trees thought it would be fun is a mystery as well. One of them nearly went down in said pit (which was at the time surrounded by 7-9 feet of snow, the machine got stuck at the lip and the rider/driver managed to jump off in time. I'd say that fella was lucky, stupid, but lucky.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum