caves visited by Level 1's at 2007 NCRC weeklong in Roanoke

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

caves visited by Level 1's at 2007 NCRC weeklong in Roanoke

Postby ek » Mar 4, 2008 6:35 pm

The NCC/FWS are asking for cavers from the WNS Pariah States who have visited one or more of four particular caves (Gage, Knox, Schoharie, and Haile's) since 1/1/07 to submit a list of cave trips with dates and names of caves visited since visiting one of those in 2007 or 2008. I attended the NCRC Weeklong in Roanoke last summer as a Level 1, and while I remember that the mock was at New River Cave, I don't remember the name of the cave where we did the mock mock, nor the name of the cave where we level 1's practiced litter handling. I was in all those caves after (earlier in the year) visiting three of those four caves where WNS was first seen, and I would like to be able to submit that information to the NCC as soon as possible. If you know what those caves were, please reply. Thanks!
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: caves visited by Level 1's at 2007 NCRC weeklong in Roanoke

Postby Carl Amundson » Mar 5, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Eliah,

How has it been going, the weeklong was a lot of fun wasn't it... :banana_yay:

I took Level 3 at the last NCRC and entered many of the same caves.
The cave you did litter handling in was Tawney’s Cave and the commercial cave was Dixie Caverns.
You may also have entered Goodwin's Cave, but I'm not sure about that one.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby ek » Mar 5, 2008 1:19 pm

Litter handling in Tawney's and the mock rescue in New River...where was the mock mock? That was not Dixie Caverns...was it Goodwin's?

Also...the NCC and Fish and Wildlife Service are requesting dates, and I'd like to be as precise as possible--does anybody know what specific dates (or on what specific days of the week during the weeklong) we did litter handling in Tawney's?

Thanks again to all!
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 5, 2008 3:21 pm

If you were in the group I was with for the Walkthrough, I think we were in Goodwins.

The name sounds familiar, and I'm thinking that was the cave where we had Tony and Pat simulate having a big domestic argument. :big grin: In another scenario I had passed out due to bad air and was found tucked in a little alcove on the right, by where you first stand up after doing the entrance crawl. Maybe someone can confirm if that sounds like Goodwins Cave?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ek » Mar 5, 2008 5:29 pm

NZcaver wrote:that was the cave where we had Tony and Pat simulate having a big domestic argument. :big grin:

That's the one then--thanks!
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892

ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 6, 2008 8:59 am

BTW, our friend from down-under is too modest. He's uploaded the video of that little spat
Melt-down
For those who weren't there, this had to have been one of the funniest mock's I've seen. Some of us had to assure some of the students that Pat and Tony actually were friends and that the entire "fight" was made-up.

(I think the funniest is still Jeff Burns at Scoharie in NY.)

As for dates: I don't recall what week the week-long was last year, but the Mock would have been on Friday, the mock-mock on Thursday. No caving would have happened Saturday. So that just leaves a few days to fill in. (I don't think Level 1's went into a cave on Sunday, but not sure.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 6, 2008 11:22 am

Stridergdm wrote:For those who weren't there, this had to have been one of the funniest mock's I've seen. Some of us had to assure some of the students that Pat and Tony actually were friends and that the entire "fight" was made-up.

The huge grins on their faces despite making threatening gestures at each other is kind of a giveaway...

As for dates: I don't recall what week the week-long was last year

The 2007 national weeklong was held June 16-23 in Salem, VA.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum