Scholarships to NCRC Weeklong

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Scholarships to NCRC Weeklong

Postby cavedoc » Feb 3, 2008 2:14 am

The NCRC will be awarding two $200 dollar scholarships to help students attend the national weeklong seminar in Mentone, AL May 3-10, 2008. To be considered please send a caving resume, 3 letters from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how training would benefit the caving community in your region. Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA 93728.

As the seminar is coming up soon, the deadline will be soon as well. I will post it as soon as I know it. But I wanted to get the info out ASAP so anyone interested could start working on it.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Re: Scholarships to NCRC Weeklong

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 3, 2008 8:47 am

Awesome!!! Who is the sponsor of the this generous offering?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Feb 3, 2008 1:10 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Awesome!!! Who is the sponsor of the this generous offering?

A few years back a person who was grateful about the rescue response after his accident decided to do something nice for cave rescue and made a donation for a scholarship fund. The NSS has managed this as one of their restricted funds but it was set up to only pay out once the principle got above a certain level. Interest over the years plus a few more contributions have pushed the total to the level needed to start giving some scholarships. At the BORC meeting this weekend the means to implement this were approved. So now we're looking for people to give the money to!

The name of the fund is The NSS Cave Rescue Training Restricted Fund, in case anyone would like to contribute. We will manage it so that we can keep giving scholarships for a few years but interest alone will not allow us to give scholarships at this level for a long time.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 3, 2008 3:20 pm

NCRC National Coordinator John Punches had the idea for the scholarship, and with his encouragement, the program and the Cave Rescue Training Restricted Fund to support the scholarship were established in the summer of 2001. The NSS seeded the Restricted Fund with $500 when it was created. :clap: (I know, for it was my motion at the Board meeting! :wink: ) The rules were that the Fund was to grow until the value reached $1,500 at which point NCRC could withdraw up to 50% per year as long as the value of the fund remained above $1,000.

Anyone may donate to the Fund by going here http://www.caves.org/donate/ and selecting " Cave Rescue Training Fund" on the donation form. :patriotic:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
NSS OVP
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Tim White » Feb 5, 2008 10:35 am

All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net. All materials must arrive by March 1, 2008 to be considered.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby shibumi » Feb 5, 2008 12:28 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Awesome!!! Who is the sponsor of the this generous offering?

After the Chris Groves rescue from Sides Cave (Kentucky), Chris and I had a long
conversation on the phone about the rescue. I told him that the reason we got him
out successfully was because most of the people who participated in his rescue had NCRC
training. He wanted to give something back so we discussed the idea of his setting up
a scholarship fund for cavers to get more higher level rescue training. We discussed this
at the NCRC board meetings and got the ball rolling.

A lot of cavers don't realize the value of the NCRC, we are an organization that is largely
run by cavers for cavers. Caving is one of the very few activities that is largely self-rescuing.
Cave rescues (when we can avoid them turning into circuses) are usually not paid for by
taxpayers as most types of rescues are, so it is incumbent on cavers to maintain a skill
level such that we can draw upon the talents we have within the community.

Anmar
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GypsumWolf » Feb 6, 2008 8:38 am

Sounds like something I should do. When do I have to sign up for NCRC?
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 6, 2008 9:17 am

I highly recommend it for all cavers (or at the very least a local 2-day Orientation to Cave Rescue (OCR).

For more information go to http://www.ncrc.info and follow the links (and there's another thread here that discusses this year's event specifically.)

Note, there's no camping this year.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Tim White » Feb 6, 2008 10:55 am

WildWolf wrote:Sounds like something I should do.

:exactly: You will benefit greatly from this class! Drop me a PM if you have any questions.
Berta will be working with Level 1 students. Not sure where I will be this year, but I'll be there.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Editor, Nylon Highway
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby shibumi » Feb 6, 2008 11:51 am

Tim White wrote:
WildWolf wrote:Sounds like something I should do.

:exactly: You will benefit greatly from this class! Drop me a PM if you have any questions.
Berta will be working with Level 1 students. Not sure where I will be this year, but I'll be there.

Tim, you will be working with level II students :)
All you have to do is be instructor, no level leader or lead evaluator or anything like that.

If you are happy, you can thank me. If you are unhappy, it was Steve's idea (just kidding).
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Feb 22, 2008 2:25 pm

This is just a reminder that the deadline for submitting for one of the grants is approaching fast! All materials must arrive by March 1, 2008 to be considered.

Please send a caving resume, 3 letters of support from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how your cave rescue training would benefit the caving community in your region. Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA 93728.
All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net.

NCRC will award not two, but four!!! $200 dollar scholarships to help students attend the NCRC national weeklong seminar in Mentone, AL May 3-10, 2008.
Two more grants have been made available to cavers from the Southeast Region. An anonymous donor has made the gracious offer of two additional $200 dollar scholarships to be awarded to deserving cavers residing in either Al, GA, TN, SC, FL or MS.

This is a chance for cavers, who do not receive financial help from a cave rescue team, etc. to offset the cost of a NCRC Weeklong training. Take the opportunity to “spend” the anonymous donors money and apply for the grant!

:banana_yay:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Editor, Nylon Highway
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby cavedoc » Feb 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Tim White wrote:This is just a reminder that the deadline for submitting for one of the grants is approaching fast! All materials must arrive by March 1, 2008 to be considered.

Just a reminder that March 1 is coming up fast. If you are interested, get your stuff in soon. See above for details.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah, otherwise folks are potentially leaving "free" money on the table.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Oct 28, 2008 12:27 am

As announced the NCRC weeklong national seminar will be in Bedford, Indiana, June 13-20, 2009.

http://www.caves.org/ncrc/national/2009 ... ar2009.htm

Just as last year the NCRC will be offering two $200 scholarships to attend this seminar. Unlike last year we will only require two letters from NSS members in support of your application. The rest of the application remains the same--a caving resume and a cover letter describing your financial need and how your cave rescue training would benefit the caving community in your region.

Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA 93728.
All materials may be submitted electronically to
ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net. All materials must arrive by March 1, 2009
to be considered.

http://www.caves.org/ncrc/national/Scholarship2009.htm
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Scholarships to 2010 NCRC Weeklong

Postby cavedoc » Nov 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Once again the NCRC will be awarding two scholarships to help students attend the national weeklong seminar in Mentone, AL May 15-22, 2010. This year they will be for $250 apiece. To be considered please send a caving resume, 2 letters of support from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how training would benefit the caving community in your region. Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA.All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net. All materials must arrive by February 15, 2010 to be considered.

More info on the seminar at:
http://www.caves.org/ncrc/national/2010 ... ar2010.htm

Feel free and encouraged to forward to regional cave lists.

Roger
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum