2008 NCRC Weeklong

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: 2008 NCRC Weeklong

Postby ron_miller » Apr 23, 2008 10:08 pm

For those of you who want to get pumped about (or are still deciding whether to attend) the 2008 national seminar, want to reminisce about the 2007 Nationals, or just want to check out what this NCRC stuff is all about, I've finally finished a web-based video version of an NCRC slideshow that I've given to several area grottos. The slideshow contains overviews of topics covered at each of the levels in the week-long training seminar, with extensive use of photos from the 2007 Nationals. There's also a preview of the 2008 Nationals in Mentone, Alabama, with several photos of the seminar facility and the classic TAG caves in the area. Last but not least is a "highlights reel" from 2007. It runs just over 16 minutes, and is set to music (admittedly heavily boomerish - I'll try to be more up-to-date next time- suggestions welcome!).

Thanks to all the photographers for allowing me to use your photos (if you didn't respond to my request and don't want your photos used, please let me know and I'll remove your photos from the show).

For a high quality version, click on this link (warning - file is 85 MB!). To get full-screen, you may need to right click on the video, select "Full Screen" or "Zoom", then "Full Screen", or some other combination, depending on your browser.

You can view four different resolutions at http://blip.tv/file/851192 . (Note: for best results, view the original version - not the Flash version!) The default size is 1024x768, but successively lower res versions are available by clicking the "Select a format" pull-down window and selecting one of the other files (although not labeled - the four files in descending order are 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, and 320x240). Here also, you should be able to view any of the files at full-screen by following the instructions above. I'm working on uploading the slideshow to a couple of other video sharing sites that might have better quality and easier navigation.

For a low-res version viewable at OnlineCavers.com (OK to view at the default size, but the compression Ning uses makes it pretty bad at full-screen), you can use this link.

Cheers,

Ron

P.S. Looking forward to seeing y'all in a couple of weeks!
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 24, 2008 7:13 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :kewl:

Well done, Ron! I better start packing.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 24, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for posting the link to the slide show.
I took Level 3 last year and the slide show brought back lots of great memories.

To all those going to the National weeklong this year, have a GREAT time.
I sure did...
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby johnlhickman » Apr 28, 2008 8:56 am

If you are attending, you may want to bring some warmer clothes. The forecast is for lows in the high 40s and low 50s. I am bringing a fan, but it might be used more for drying out gear than for keeping cool at night.

Also, I can't speak for the exact area, but we are actually getting rain so all those normally dry caves might be a little wetter now.

John
Nashville, TN
johnlhickman
Frequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 28, 2008 9:28 am

Bah, some of us cave in NY. Wet caves are the norm! :-)

Anyway, looks like I'll be showing up around dinner time on Thursday. Can't wait.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby chrismc » Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm

We should also have a few people from St Louis area arriving either Thursday evening or very early Friday (overnight drive).

Anyone know if there's Thursday night lodging available?

Also, anyone know if there's AC power available in the cabins for battery chargers, laptop computers (work seems to follow me everywhere lately), and such?

Friday morning caving/pit-bouncing anyone?
Chris McCracken, NSS#45314
chrismc
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 45314

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 29, 2008 1:59 pm

I should be rolling in around midnight on Friday night. Dibs on a bunk in a quiet, non-snoring cabin.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I should be rolling in around midnight on Friday night. Dibs on a bunk in a quiet, non-snoring cabin.

Sorry, I hear the only cabins left are full of snorers next to the generator for the pile-driving that runs all night.
:grin:
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » May 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Got back from NCRC weeklong in Mentone, Al last night. Whew, I'm tired. Great, fantastic week! My head is stuffed with all sorts of new stuff. Got to put a face to a bunch of Cavechat'rs. We did the mock rescue in Pettyjohns. That cave is slick as greased owl snot. Good times, tho. Can't wait for next year in Indiana!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby chrismc » May 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Got back from NCRC weeklong in Mentone, Al last night. Whew, I'm tired. Great, fantastic week! My head is stuffed with all sorts of new stuff. Got to put a face to a bunch of Cavechat'rs. We did the mock rescue in Pettyjohns. That cave is slick as greased owl snot. Good times, tho. Can't wait for next year in Indiana!

Ditto what Scott said. Its going to take another full week to get caught up on sleep.
Chris McCracken, NSS#45314
chrismc
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 45314

Postby GypsumWolf » May 11, 2008 4:58 pm

NCRC was great! :clap: :cavingrocks: :cave softly:
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » May 12, 2008 7:12 am

Got back to my DC apartment around 2:45 Sunday morning. Still trying to catch up on sleep. Slept more last night than any night of the seminar.

For those of you commenting on how much you learned, remember this one very important search technique, follow the smell of pizza to find the lost person. :rofl:

Seriously, it was a great time. Glad to put names to some faces.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Glad to hear another weeklong has ended successfully. Anyone shoot photos this year?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stridergdm » May 12, 2008 10:21 pm

NZcaver wrote:Glad to hear another weeklong has ended successfully. Anyone shoot photos this year?

Did they ever..... well over 4.7 gig... which had to be shrunk down to fit on the DVD everyone got.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 13, 2008 12:24 am

Stridergdm wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Glad to hear another weeklong has ended successfully. Anyone shoot photos this year?

Did they ever..... well over 4.7 gig... which had to be shrunk down to fit on the DVD everyone got.

I blame the manufacturers who make ridiculously high megapixel cameras with only mediocre lens quality. :tonguecheek:

Any idea when/where they'll be available for viewing on line? Or is that a little presumptuous of me?

Assuming you completed this year's weeklong successfully - congratulations! :banana_yay:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum