2008 NCRC Weeklong

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Do you want to teach?

Postby Tim White » Jan 8, 2008 11:02 am

Current and active NCRC Instructors should have received, over the weekend, a “Do you want to teach?” e-mail from Tricia. The requested date to reply with your response is today. If you did not get her e-mail and feel that you should have, contact Tricia: records AT ncrc.info

Berta and I will be there.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Re: 2008 NCRC Weeklong

Postby cavedoc » Jan 8, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks for the note Tim. I didn't get the mail but have sent a note to Tricia. I will be attending but Amanda will not.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jan 8, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm in! :banana: I just emailed Tricia back.

Putnam told me last year that Camp Skyline is a nice place and I should go. :big grin: So I'll do my best to be there.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Carl Amundson » Jan 8, 2008 8:24 pm

Enjoy the national weeklong folks.
I took Level 3 last year and really REALLY enjoyed it…

This year I’m opting to help teach the er-ncrc regional weeklong in Virginia.
I’m looking forward to the challenge of being on the “other side of the fence”.

To all those considering taking the weeklong at the national or regional level, I say DO IT. You will have a blast.
You will meet some great cavers and learn lots of cool stuff. :banana:
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Reminder

For anyone who expected to get an IQ application but did not, please contact me immediately. They are due TOMORROW.

Thanks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby ljthawk » Jan 15, 2008 3:29 pm

If you are qualified to apply to the IQ class and have not received an e-mail, check your spam filter. My standard Gmail spam filter, with default settings, blocked the e-mail so I did not find it until last night. Interesting enough, several others had e-mailed the information to me without the spam filter blocking it. I’m not sure why the original e-mail was blocked.

Anyway, look in your spam box for an e-mail circa January 4.

L.J.

P.S. What is the maximum size for the IQ class?

P.SS Tim, besides Anmar, I may ask for them to contact you as a regional coordinator / reference. If so, please be kind!
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby shibumi » Jan 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Often times when an email is distributed to a whole lot of To: addresses or CC: addresses
spam filters will eat it.

Class size is not set in advance, though a safe number is probably 6-10 as a maximum. The education
board will determine who to invite based on a whole lot of factors including the student's performance in prior levels,
the student's activity in the region, recommendations from regional coordinators/instructors, other teaching/professional
experience, and so on. There's no guarantee that a class will be held if the EB determines that there are not enough qualified applicants to fill a class. If a student does not get accepted to the IQ they have a few options, the best
of which is to ask a few trusted instructors/RCs as to how best they can improve their chances next year.

For too many years NCRC instructorship was almost automatic if students jumped through all the hoops. We'd get people who went through all of the levels, get their instructor, then never teach again or just do the bare minimum to maintain their instructor cert. We're trying to get away from that towards people who are actively involved and who have a high skill level and ability to teach.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 23, 2008 10:00 pm

I was hoping to make the weeklong in Mentone this year, especially given the loads of fun I had at Colorado Bend, TX last year for level 1.

Alas, I was invited back to Vancouver Island for the hysterical week known as British Columbia Cave Rescue "Boot Camp." The chance to see more of the awesome karst and cave for a week with some of Canada's funniest (and finest) cavers was too good to pass up. So most of my limited time off will be devoted to scaring the good townspeople of Gold River and NOT getting stuck in Upana Caves prior to the big Friday "mock rescue" (hopefully on Thanksgiving Ridge again this year!) Can't wait to become one with the Black Slab one more time!

Seriously, if you can make it consider coming along. The class runs July 5-12. You can contact Phil Whitfield at pwhitfield@telus.net for further info.

Jay Kennedy MD
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby NZcaver » Jan 24, 2008 10:00 am

C'mon Jay... you're allowed to attend both, you know. It's merely another week off work, plus a little flying time. :wink:

I enjoyed reading your article on the BCCR training from last year. Attending one of their workshops or seminars is definitely on my to-do list. One of these years...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 24, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah, the BCCR class sounds like an excellent class. I've heard that now from a couple of people. And it's always useful when people learn skills from more than one group as it can increase the knowledge all around.

Sorry we'll miss you.

(But boy is May sounding closer and closer!)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 24, 2008 1:49 pm

If I were still working for the federal government I could pull both off, after all, I spent two weeks at the 2006 BCCR boot camp followed by an invigorating week in Bellingham at the NSS Convention. Unfortunately I now work in the private sector and the rule is (as put bluntly to me by numerous other physicians) "you eat what you kill" (with apologies to the Serengeti lions...) So my family will take an economic hit if I take too much time off. Granted, we still live pretty much like when I was an underpaid resident physician but now we have a money pit, er HOUSE to look after and just replaced both our aging automobiles. From what I understand the weeklong next year (2009) may be held in Indiana: it's only seven hours from here and I love those caves! Would be a fun place to take Level 2, especially the vertical caving parts.

So, I'll be in Mentone and Virginia in spirit, at least!

Everybody stay safe, I'll keep practicing my level one skills. :tonguecheek:

Cheers,

Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 6, 2008 9:25 am

A couple of follow-ups:

1) There WILL be an IQ class this year. Steve Hudson, the National Training Coordinator is in the process of contacting the students to let them know who has been accepted.

2) While there has been a lot of interest, so far actual registration has been a bit slow. This is actually fairly normal. BUT, it does put a strain on the folks setting up the course as they try to juggle everything that must be done to prepare for the event. The SOONER you can register, the better. So please, if you've decided to go but have been putting off registering, please do so now.

3) And.... for those who are a bit strapped for cash but still interested in going, I'll point you to another thread: NCRC Scholarships. This year the NCRC will be offering a $200 scholarships to two qualified students. But you need to get your applications in! This is will hopefully be an on-going scholarship (we're trying to manage the funds so that we can do 1-2 scholarships every year.)

So sign up and apply today!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Level 3 capacity

Postby Tim White » Feb 22, 2008 2:31 pm

A quick heads-up if you are thinking about taking NCRC Level 3 in AL, registrations are pouring in fast.
Remember that Level 3 enrollment may be limited -
CONTACT THE REGISTRAR TO ENSURE SPACE IS AVAILABLE BEFORE YOU REGISTER.

:bat sticker:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Unfortunately, it's looking like I won't make the weeklong this year after all. :sad:

It clashes with the timing for our next move, which will be a 4500 mile road trip. I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. There's always next year.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 27, 2008 12:27 am

NZcaver wrote:Unfortunately, it's looking like I won't make the weeklong this year after all. :sad:

It clashes with the timing for our next move, which will be a 4500 mile road trip. I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. There's always next year.

Oh come on, what's a few hundred mile, 8 day diversion on a move like that. :-)

In any case, we'll miss you. Have a good road trip.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum