Texas rescue...

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Texas rescue...

Postby graveleye » May 14, 2007 3:12 pm

I didnt know if any of you guys heard of this one:

Three youths rescued from cave

Web Posted: 05/12/2007 09:30 AM CDT

Brian Chasnoff
Express-News Staff Writer

Equipped with just one yellow flashlight, six youths descended Friday around midnight into a vast system of caves inside Longhorn Quarry on Wurzbach Parkway near O'Connor Road.

Frightened, three of them quickly turned back. The other three, between the ages of 17 and 21, soon got disoriented in the pitch-blackness and became lost.

Rescue workers with the San Antonio Fire Department found them around 6:45 a.m. this morning about 1,000 feet inside the caves, which firefighters described as "swiss cheese," and pulled them to safety, said District Fire Chief Randy Jenkins.

One of the youths suffered minor injuries to his legs, and all three were "scared and dehydrated," Jenkins said. Emergency medical technicians treated them at the scene before police placed them in handcuffs and drove them away.

Authorities said the amateur spelunkers likely would be charged with trespassing....

:doh:

Full story here
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Nico » May 14, 2007 3:35 pm

Being close to Texas I heard of it, its currently being discussed at
wwww.texascavers.com

the article says that the spelunker's cell phone had reception 1000' inside the cave, I want one of those :laughing:
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum