Simmons-Mingo

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby wendy » May 5, 2007 8:09 pm

icave wrote:I heard a rumor that two of those rescued were from Nittany Grotto. Any truth to that?

I know that at least one of them is in the NSS member's manual. It would be nice if they joined our discussion board and gave us the inside scoop on the rescue, etc.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby MUD » May 6, 2007 9:23 am

I beleive the inside scoop is obvious....SPEEEEEELUUUUNKERS!!! :oops:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby MoonshineR DavE » May 7, 2007 1:42 pm

Cavemud wrote:I beleive the inside scoop is obvious....SPEEEEEELUUUUNKERS!!! :oops:

:rofl:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » May 7, 2007 2:54 pm

Cavemud wrote:I beleive the inside scoop is obvious....SPEEEEEELUUUUNKERS!!! :oops:

:rofl: :laughing: :tonguecheek:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby wendy » May 8, 2007 12:48 am

well maybe not, in the videos they were well dressed, had helmets and lights, etc

things do happen and could happen to any of us, so before we bash others, ask if you would want others to bash you in what is an embarrassing situation that luckily turned out well in the end, everyone safe with no lastling damage to themselves or the cave
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » May 8, 2007 8:46 am

wendy wrote:

well maybe not, in the videos they were well dressed, had helmets and lights, etc

things do happen and could happen to any of us, so before we bash others, ask if you would want others to bash you in what is an embarrassing situation that luckily turned out well in the end, everyone safe with no lastling damage to themselves or the cave

I think this is an important point. And goes back earlier to a comment I made about how cavers are often wont to delay a call-out due to possible embarrassment.

First rescue I got called out on was a very experienced caver. As it was, it took 36 hours or more to get him out. If they had delayed the call-out, medically he could have ended up in MUCH worse condition.

So yeah, I'm with Wendy on this.

Which reminds me, in another thread someone commented on the ACA (American Cave Accident report) being good for some laughs. And it certainly is at times. But a fair number of those rescues happen to experienced cavers and could happen to any of us at anytime.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby adleedy » May 8, 2007 11:30 am

wendy wrote:

In what video, could you tell that the rescued cavers had been well dressed with proper lights and helmets? every video i seen they were laying underneath of blankets.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » May 8, 2007 11:50 am

adleedy wrote:
wendy wrote:

In what video, could you tell that the rescued cavers had been well dressed with proper lights and helmets? every video i seen they were laying underneath of blankets.

ok maybe I was mistaken, but then again, you can't say that they weren't well prepared, getting lost is the only thing you can gather from any of those reports
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Tim White » May 8, 2007 12:08 pm

A Pittsburgh Grotto member who was at the rescue said “there were 2 experienced cavers and 3 beginners...”.

I suppose we could discuss the definition of what constitutes an “experienced caver” and when one is a “beginner” vs. a first timer, and on and on and on.... :hairpull:

I personally know a number of ‘spelunkers” whom we had to rescue, but later went on to become well experienced (and even hardcore) cavers. We did not ridicule them over their mistake. Rather we explained how their judgment may have been off base at that time and educated them on proper skills.

Were we not all spelunkers or beginners once? If I make a mistake and require a rescue, am I now demoted back to spelunker status? :doh:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby adleedy » May 8, 2007 12:24 pm

Tim White wrote:A Pittsburgh Grotto member who was at the rescue said “there were 2 experienced cavers and 3 beginners...”.

I suppose we could discuss the definition of what constitutes an “experienced caver” and when one is a “beginner” vs. a first timer, and on and on and on.... :hairpull:

I personally know a number of ‘spelunkers” whom we had to rescue, but later went on to become well experienced (and even hardcore) cavers. We did not ridicule them over their mistake. Rather we explained how their judgment may have been off base at that time and educated them on proper skills.

Were we not all spelunkers or beginners once? If I make a mistake and require a rescue, am I now demoted back to spelunker status? :doh:

Your are correct wayne, i truly believe cavemud's remark was all in good sport. so i laughed, in no way do i feel that getting turned around, lost or even rescued makes you a "spelunker"
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » May 8, 2007 1:17 pm

Isn't it possible, as we get older and our caving skills lessen, that we all revert to being spelunkers.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby MUD » May 8, 2007 11:25 pm

Just because you wear the gear, don't make you the star, ya know? :grin:
I don't beleive an experienced caver would have taken a group of people in a cave and then got lost. An experienced caver would not have gotten lost because they would know the cave or would know not to take people into a cave they don't know well. That's why I said "speeeeluuuuunkers!!!"
Important thing is, no one was seriously hurt and they probably learned a little something about caving, themselves and each other! :kewl: Hopefully as I get older I'll never revert to being a speeeeluuuunker but mebbe an armchair caver as this would be more safe??? :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Stridergdm » May 9, 2007 8:12 am

Cavemud wrote:Just because you wear the gear, don't make you the star, ya know? :grin:
I don't beleive an experienced caver would have taken a group of people in a cave and then got lost. An experienced caver would not have gotten lost because they would know the cave or would know not to take people into a cave they don't know well. That's why I said "speeeeluuuuunkers!!!"
Important thing is, no one was seriously hurt and they probably learned a little something about caving, themselves and each other! :kewl: Hopefully as I get older I'll never revert to being a speeeeluuuunker but mebbe an armchair caver as this would be more safe??? :laughing:

I'm going to have to disagree on that. Experienced cavers can make mistakes and often do.

In some cases it can take just a moment distraction as you take a wrong turn or follow someone else down a passage.

Also, experienced cavers often get themselves into different sorts of trouble.

Inexperienced cavers for example are less likely to push a tight passage, so searching for them typically means looking in the big/obvious places first.

Experienced cavers are often more likely to push the tighter stuff, try the hairier stuff.

So, again, I'm not sure based on what little I've seen these folks could be classified as spelunkers or experienced or anything.

Just my 2 cents.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby George Dasher » May 9, 2007 8:28 am

This group clearly didn't have the knowledge to find their way through the cave, or the experience to retrace their steps.

And that equals inexperience with the cave system and with caving. They were, at best, border-line spelunkers.

The solution was someone who knew the cave better, and/or more experienced cavers to help them find their way back.

Things go wrong on caving trips. They can be little things, but they can be scarey. That's when you need other experienced cavers to jump in and help solve the problem. They are insurance against the entire trip going bad. I can't count the times experienced cavers on my trips have made the difference between a good trip and a bad trip.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby adleedy » May 9, 2007 8:51 am

George Dasher wrote:This group clearly didn't have the knowledge to find their way through the cave, or the experience to retrace their steps.

And that equals inexperience with the cave system and with caving. They were, at best, border-line spelunkers.

The solution was someone who knew the cave better, and/or more experienced cavers to help them find their way back.

Things go wrong on caving trips. They can be little things, but they can be scarey. That's when you need other experienced cavers to jump in and help solve the problem. They are insurance against the entire trip going bad. I can't count the times experienced cavers on my trips have made the difference between a good trip and a bad trip.

Very well said George
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum