Anderson Co. Emergency Crews Rescue Man Injured in Cave

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Anderson Co. Emergency Crews Rescue Man Injured in Cave

Postby lookingaround » Dec 11, 2006 7:19 pm

A rescue in tennessee...

MEDFORD (WATE) -- A caving trip ended abruptly for six Campbell County men after one of them lost his footing.

Emergency crews say the victim slipped 75 feet into a cave located in the mountains off Lake City Highway.

Paramedics, volunteer firefighters and rescue crews from Medford, Marlow and Anderson County worked braved all night in chilly weather to bring the men out to safety.

The victims tell 6 News they go caving every weekend. It's a hobby.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5795455&nav=0RYv
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby RescueMan » Dec 11, 2006 7:42 pm

Man recovering after falling 75 feet into a dark cave

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5799880&nav=0RYv

"I just remember falling and hitting the rock wall a couple of times," Dustin Braden says.

December 11, 2006

By CATHARYN CAMPBELL
6 News Reporter

MEDFORD (WATE) -- A 21-year-old man has been released from UT Medical Center after falling 75 feet into a dark cave in the Medford community of Anderson County.

Dustin Braden said he and his friends have been exploring caves for the past couple of months. "It's a thrill, a rush, and it's physically challenging. It's just something you really have to experience to understand."

But it's a thrill that landed Dustin in the hospital. He has scrapes and bruises all over his body.

Dustin, his twin brother, and five of their friends tied a long rope to a tree and climbed down into a cave Sunday afternoon. They explored the inside for several hours. Then is was time to go.

One of the boys climbed the rope and easily made it out of the cave. Dustin was next. He says he was only a few feet from the top when he lost his footing.

"I just couldn't hang on and I let go," he said. "I just remember falling and hitting the rock wall a couple of times."

Dustin says he fell about 45 feet. Five others were standing on a ledge below. His brother Justin tried break his fall.

"His shoulder hit me in the face when I tried to catch him," Justin said. "Then we both fell about 30 more feet into the other hole."

Dustin says he had a lot of pain in his back and hip. Luckily he didn't break any bones. "Had my brother not been standing underneath me to slow me down I think I would be dead," Dustin said.

Those that managed to get out of the cave went for help. The others waited inside of the cold dark cave for about three hours. The Anderson County Rescue Squad was able to pull everyone out safely.

Dustin and Justin say they plan to continue exploring caves. But before they go back, they are going to take some professional training courses and buy all the necessary safety equipment.
aVERT
a Vertical Emergency Response Training
to aVERT disaster in the VERTical environment
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Dec 11, 2006 8:30 pm

RescueMan wrote:
Dustin and Justin say they plan to continue exploring caves. But before they go back, they are going to take some professional training courses and buy all the necessary safety equipment.

sounds like they weren't attached to the rope....hopefully this statement will be true, maybe the closest grotto to them will get on touch and mnetor them into the right direction
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum