NCRC weeklong 2007

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby ljthawk » Jul 1, 2007 9:09 am

Yes, that was the cave. It was on our way home and the people I was caravanning with were going (Marc & Roy). There are a few more drops inside to get to the stream passage.

Now I’m back in flatland. Interesting enough I decided to stop by the local volunteer fire department’s training last Thursday evening. What were they practicing? Knots and a haul system to get patients off a roof. They don’t do much rope work, but I just watched and helped / interjected when appropriate. One interesting exercise was to attach the litter to the top of the ladder, which was flat on the ground perpendicular to the building with the feat next to the wall and the top away from the building. They then hauled up and as they pulled on the litter it pulled the ladder feat into the building, then pivoted the ladder up causing the litter to rise in an arc. When the litter reached the top of the building the ladder was straight up and down and the litter “arced” right over the edge horizontally. Very cool.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby tncaveres » Jul 1, 2007 11:13 am

Never seen that before.
I am sure you could be alot of help for them in the rope area. :-)
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Photos

Postby kis2544 » Jul 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Any word on the photos that Pat the instructor said she would post to a FTP site? She took some sweet shots!
kis2544
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2007 11:07 pm

tncaveres wrote:I will post some pics from the trip later. NZcaver has the ones from the mock .

Tncaveres and other folks...

I promise I have not forgotten about posting my NCRC photos. I've been on the road and mostly out of internet range since NCRC, and I'm still not done with this phase of traveling! I will try to have some photos available by early August.

Happy caving :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Lost Battery at NCRC Weeklong

Postby MaryNeedsSleep » Jul 16, 2007 11:39 pm

I haven't seen my spare battery since NCRC Weeklong...
On the off chance anyone found a Lupine battery, please contact me!
Last seen in the women's restroom... or the backseat of my car.
MaryNeedsSleep
Infrequent Poster

Re: Lost Battery at NCRC Weeklong

Postby kis2544 » Jul 17, 2007 7:56 pm

MaryNeedsSleep wrote: women's restroom... or the backseat of my car.

ahh, my two favorite places to hang out!

I don't remember seeing it Mary, sorry..
kis2544
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Dear folks who attended the NCRC weeklong this year and other interested persons,

I finally threw a ton of my photos up on the web for your viewing pleasure. Be warned - they include the good, the bad, and the ugly! :wink: They were all shot with a little snappy digital, and none have been photoshopped at this time. The link below will take you to the main album showing a few group shots, and then there are 4 sub albums to choose from. Look for the box in the upper left corner which lists the sub-albums. As you open an album, clicking the "view as slideshow" option on the right is a good way to see the shots (if you hit F11 on a PC, they should show full screen). Eventually I hope to share some short video clips on YouTube as well.

Enjoy! :waving:

<NCRC weeklong 2007 photos>
(All images are copyright - obviously feel free to look, but please ask before using... thanks!)

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by NZcaver on Nov 9, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Jul 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks for posting the pics.
They turned out really well. :kewl:
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Re: Photos

Postby chrismc » Jul 20, 2007 2:20 pm

kis2544 wrote:Any word on the photos that Pat the instructor said she would post to a FTP site? She took some sweet shots!

I think she got distracted:

In all seriousness, I tried e-mailing her at several email addresses I found for her regarding this issue, and all of them came back undeliverable. Not sure what happened to her.
chrismc
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 45314

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 20, 2007 3:12 pm

NZcaver wrote:I finally threw a ton of my photos up on the web

A ton? All I see is four pics--the group shots. Did I miss something?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Jul 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Look up from the four pics and you will notice the sub-albums: Level 2, Mock, Walkthrough and Misc.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Jul 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:
NZcaver wrote:I finally threw a ton of my photos up on the web

A ton? All I see is four pics--the group shots. Did I miss something?

I think so Scott - you missed the weeklong! :laughing: Wasn't it you that started this thread? :cool:

Yeah, junkman nailed it. Find the sub album links on the page (above those 4 shots) and click away. OK, so there's not really a ton of photos... more like 562 right now.

Sorry if the Photobucket site is clumsy to navigate around, and full of ads. However some nicer-looking sites like Flickr are more restrictive when it comes to the amount of content you can store with a free account. Flickr *says* you can store unlimited photos for free and your only restriction is 100MB per month of upload... but in reality the site only displays your most recent 200 photos at a time, and you are limited to only 3 albums ("sets"). Photobucket gives you 1GB of space, unlimited use of albums, and 25GB of monthly traffic. OK, I'm done ranting now. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 20, 2007 7:14 pm

Yep, I was blinded by the ad banner-like box where the links are. I think I'm banner blind.

Flickr: you get what you pay for. Upgrade ($$) to "Pro" and you get unlimited everything. I think it's worth it.

562, I'd call that a ton. Especially, since they were all taken within one week. Nice work!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Yep, I was blinded by the ad banner-like box where the links are. I think I'm banner blind.

Flickr: you get what you pay for. Upgrade ($$) to "Pro" and you get unlimited everything. I think it's worth it.

562, I'd call that a ton. Especially, since they were all taken within one week. Nice work!

Thanks! I figured I'd go for quantity rather than quality. I added a slave flash or two for many of the in-cave shots, and I actually managed to get a few decent shots too (even if I do say so myself). That little Canon A540 I used isn't half bad, although the leaf-style lens "cap" tends not to open completely when it gets a little cave grit in it. Frustrating!

I'm just too cheap to pay $25 a year (or anything) for a photo website. I do have 3 different flavors of free sites now - and counting. Also, I found you can't store GIFs on Flickr. So if you ever animate your JPGs and make GIFs, you'd better put them on Photobucket or elsewhere.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby tncaveres » Jul 23, 2007 11:46 am

Hey nice pics !!

Have you mailed Joanna her CD yet?
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum