NCRC weeklong 2007

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Food

Postby GypsumWolf » Dec 20, 2006 10:51 am

I am a vegetarian. Will there be food there that is vegetarian?
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Dec 20, 2006 11:03 am

There will be.
The brochure, under Meal Plan states:
"If you have special dietary needs (vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) please note these on your registration form."

If you do not have a brochure/registration form, you can download it at:
http://www.caves.org/io/ncrc/2007Seminar/seminar2007.htm
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Re: I will

Postby GypsumWolf » Feb 13, 2007 5:57 pm

WildWolf wrote:There appears to be a high probability that I will show up.

Well, I guess I am not comming, I may be doing summer classes in college at that time.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 13, 2007 11:12 pm

So time to get out to Texas and take the weeklong there. :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby ljthawk » Mar 5, 2007 12:36 am

Tim,

I spoke with the gang, it looks like you will have to put up with us in level three this year. Should be a good time.

See you in May?

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Mar 5, 2007 9:46 am

ljthawk wrote:Tim,

I spoke with the gang, it looks like you will have to put up with us in level three this year. Should be a good time.

See you in May?

L.J.

Looking forward to it! Berta and I will both will be there.

BTW: we have a RSVP sitting on her desk to mail. :wink:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby PaulSiegel » Mar 5, 2007 10:35 pm

I havent posted on here in a long time...

But i have a question about the NCRC Level 1. I poked around on the NCRC site and could only find the requirements to pass level one (i.e. Knots, ascend/descend) is there a syllabus I'm not seeing? Or is it not issued till you send in your money?
Don't get me wrong as soon as I get my tax return they'll be getting a check and my registration. But I would like to know what im getting into to. Any advice?

Paul Siegel
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Location: College in Tacoma, Washington by way of Atlanta, Ga

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 5, 2007 11:11 pm

PaulSiegel wrote:I havent posted on here in a long time...

But i have a question about the NCRC Level 1. I poked around on the NCRC site and could only find the requirements to pass level one (i.e. Knots, ascend/descend) is there a syllabus I'm not seeing? Or is it not issued till you send in your money?
Don't get me wrong as soon as I get my tax return they'll be getting a check and my registration. But I would like to know what im getting into to. Any advice?

Paul Siegel

I honestly can't recall if we send out the syllabus before you arrive or not. You will be given details on the entry test before you arrive though.

Basically know the knots they tell you to know and the SRT. (Ascend 10m, change over, descend, show hard lock-off. 20 minutes from moment you start to don gear).

Level 1s are given basically unlimited retries.

HOWEVER: do yourself and the instructors a favor, know the stuff before hand. It'll give you more time to relax.

(Yes, we have had students, especially Level 1s, show up and try to learn the skills during testing. This wastes folks time.)

If you need SRT training, there will be training Friday night before hand. (This applies for ALL levels).

As for what you're getting yourself into:

Mud!!!

Seriously. Keep in mind it's about 100 hours of work in 8 days. And even "off-hours" there's a lot to keep your attention (I've probably learned as much after official teaching as before.) Try to get as much sleep as you can.

You'll learn a lot as a Level 1 and it'll all build up to the Mock on the final day. If all goes well, you'll be done with the Mock in time for dinner. If not... well blame the Level 3s and plan on dinner being delivered or just getting back late for it.

(My Level 1 Mock, we were home well in time for dinner, Level 2, well we were also time in home for dinner but started at 4:00 AM. Both my Level 3s.. well, let's not go there. But not MY fault. Honestly. :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

No IQ Class this year

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 15, 2007 6:19 am

Since official announcements have been sent to candidates, I'm can say the Education Committee has voted this year to NOT hold an IQ (Instructor Qualification) Class this year.

So, I won't be attending as an IQ student this year.

However, since I just can't get enough, unless I get a job that interferes, I will be there as a Level 3 student... again. :-)

Seriously, looking forward to it. See you all there!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel » Apr 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Who would I talk to see if my registration got through?
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 19, 2007 7:14 pm

PaulSiegel wrote:Who would I talk to see if my registration got through?

I would suggest emailing the registrar at NCRCseminar@rio.com (this is the email address provided on the registration form - there is also a phone number listed with it).

I had the same concern the first time I registered for a weeklong. I sent my form and payment several months early, but the check wasn't banked for months - nor did I receive any email (or other) confirmation that it had even been received.

Of course each year a MOUNTAIN of organizational work has to be done behind the scenes to make the seminar happen. Plus it's usually a small group of volunteers handling the lion's share of the work in their limited spare time. I've been told the payments aren't normally processed until there are enough confirmed registrants to make it worth holding the seminar - and many attendees are the "last minute" type.

Still, it might be nice in future if students could receive a quick confirmation email so they know their registration got through...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby PaulSiegel » Apr 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Yeah, I already emailed them but figured id ask here. I guess ill know when i get my registration packet right?
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 19, 2007 8:36 pm

PaulSiegel wrote:Yeah, I already emailed them but figured id ask here. I guess ill know when i get my registration packet right?

As NZCaver commented, there's a LOT of paperwork generated for the weeklong. The registrar will get the information, process it (at some point cash the check) and forward information to the NCRC Database Coordinator who handles mailing out the packets.

We try to send out as few batches of mailings as possible, so it may be awhile before you hear anything for sure.

If you're really worried, you can try contacting the registrar. But keep in mind 100+ other people may be doing the same. :-)

Anyway.. we're getting close. I'm getting excited!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 19, 2007 8:41 pm

NZcaver wrote:Still, it might be nice in future if students could receive a quick confirmation email so they know their registration got through...

Forgot to address this.

<let me put on my Ed Committee Member hat for this send>

In the future there's a very good chance that more of this will be all web-based and you'll get immediate feed-back.

AND
I should remind people... if you want to be in Level 3, you MUST contact the registrar before applying. There are a limited number of slots. Do NOT send your registration assuming you'll get into Level 3 and then just show up. You may find yourself in Level 2 or w/o a spot all together.

And of course once you do get your registration packet... make sure you pay attention to the first day check-offs. You WILL be tested on these items and failure to pass will mean either a refund or being bumped down a level.

And while we're not trying to be a pain about it, we're finding that all classes are better for everyone if everyone in the class shows up equally prepared.

</hat off>
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 19, 2007 11:29 pm

I sent my money in very early (last year) and have received conformation that I will be attending Level 3 this year.
It’s my first time taking Level 3 and I’m really excited. I’m practicing my hauling and belay systems in my living room.
Now that it’s warming up I will be hanging from a rope in my front yard practicing my SRT stuff.

If you are planning to attend the weeklong, you should check out the student resources page on the NCRC website:
http://www.caves.org/io/ncrc/Students_A ... ources.htm
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum