Ascending gear? What's that?

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Ascending gear? What's that?

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jul 24, 2006 12:29 am

Rescuers haul out two abseilers stranded at bottom of cave without right equipment

Two frightened abseilers unable to climb out of the Wynberg Cave were pulled out by rescuers last night.

The pair were unharmed.

Three women and two men, all in their early 20s, climbed Constantia Nek yesterday and abseiled down into Wynberg Cave. What they did not realise was that they did not have the gear they needed to pull themselves out.

While three of them clawed their way out of the cave, two - one of them abseiling for the first time - could not. One of the stronger climbers pulled herself out and phoned her family, who alerted Wilderness Search and Rescue and Metro Rescue.

Rescue manager Kevin Tromp said they received a call at 7.15pm, were on the scene by 8.30pm and had everyone out of the cave by 9.30pm.

"They're all OK, no one was injured. I think they learned a big lesson - that it's ludicrous to abseil if you don't have the right equipment."

The seven rescuers radioed their control room at 8pm to say the group were fine, but drove down the mountain only after 10pm after wrapping up their work.

"We have to praise the rescuers for their absolute professionalism. They were fantastic," Gavin Thompson said, relieved to have his daughter Bronwyn and her friends safely out of the cave.

- Staff Writer

Published on the web by (South Africa) Cape Times on July 24, 2006.
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby speloman » Jul 24, 2006 6:22 pm

:doh: Could have been alot worse. Luckily no one was hurt, and help got to them. :violin:
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum