Whaddaya do after you save a spelunker?

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Adam Byrd » Jul 11, 2006 12:35 pm

OK, so I got to thinking about this after reading about the Snailshell Cave/quarry guy. I'm not a rescue guy, so I don't know about this. After you pull out some poor shivering spelunkers, what do you tell them? Do you call them fools, kick 'em in the rear, and send them on their way, or do you refer them to a local grotto, where they could learn to be responsible cavers?
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby NZcaver » Jul 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Logically (from a caver standpoint), it makes more sense to do the latter. :caver: Positive reinforcement makes for a better learning experience, and all that. However - not every spelunker aspires to become a caver, and a few are probably better left out of the equation altogether.

Post-rescue, it's generally up to the local authorities (police or EMS) to deal with the individual. And the last thing they're going to do is recommend the person take up caving! So from that perspective, a caver/rescuer who sees potential in a spelunker would do well to put in a quiet word about organized caving. Many of us do that already when we're in or near caves, and there's non-cavers around.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby cob » Jul 11, 2006 7:32 pm

you tell them, "Go get warm." which is all they will hear anyway.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jul 11, 2006 8:10 pm

I agree with cob.

"Go Get Warm"

The way I look at it. A rescue scene is generally not a place to talk too a just rescued person about responsible caving. Generally persons being rescued are embarrassed but thankful. Telling them how to be responsible would possibly embarrass them further. Generally I have talked to them about thier life. If the subject of caving comes up, I talk about how I got involved with it. If they are interest they'll fish for information. Other than that, "Get warm, stay warm, good night, good bye".
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby paul » Jul 12, 2006 6:59 am

There's also the problem that if it is believed that there may be some sort of retribution for having a rescue team getting involved, then some people in need of assisance may delay asking for it until it is too late.

It is better for anybody who thinks thay need help to ask for it rather than worry about the consequences.

See incident 284 on http://www.derbyshirecro.org.uk/call_outs.html
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby speloman » Jul 12, 2006 9:08 am

I have never been involved in a cave rescue but have been on some other rescues. Basicly Get warm is difinatly a good Idea and may be do a little pep talk about what went worng, and if this is a activity they want to do you can point them in the right direction. But if it was just a adventure seeker never done it before and something trammatic happend they might never want to leave the daylight again. It is hard to say.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jul 12, 2006 9:48 am

paul wrote:There's also the problem that if it is believed that there may be some sort of retribution for having a rescue team getting involved, then some people in need of assisance may delay asking for it until it is too late.

It is better for anybody who thinks thay need help to ask for it rather than worry about the consequences.

See incident 284 on http://www.derbyshirecro.org.uk/call_outs.html

Momma sure is gonna be sore when she goes to make some noodles :tonguecheek:

The rescuers I have encountered, and EMTs in general seem to be fairly compassionate and non-judgemental outwardly to the victim... they might mutter amongst each other out of earshot of the victim, but I think most know thats neither the time or place for chastising someone.

This is unrelated, but an infuriating story of my best friend. He is a motorcycle enthusiast and belongs to a BMW club. While riding the Blue Ridge Parkway back in June, he and his friends were rounding a corner, when suddenly a ranger/cop pulled out in front of them, and my friend hit the patrol car in T-bone fashion. He broke his thumb, three ribs, his femur in two places and his tibia. The cop was unharmed asides from his pride. He obviously hadnt learned to look both ways when pulling out into a street.

Now get this...

as my friend is laying on the ground in agony from his injuries, the ranger runs up to him and says (in front of 5 witnesses) "Well thats what you get for speeding on the parkway!!!"

Not too bright of a way to greet a man you just about killed.

He then proceed to try to move him and take his boots off.. luckily, more level headed folks stopped him and strongly suggested that he NOT MOVE THE VICTIM. Wait for the EMTs.

Never assume that someone in uniform has any first responder skills or courtesy.

Unrelated, but my point is that a rescue is probably not the time to fuss out a victim.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Tlaloc » Jul 12, 2006 11:04 am

Kver33 wrote:Generally I have talked to them about thier[sic] life. If the subject of caving comes up, I talk about how I got involved with it. If they are interest they'll fish for information. Other than that, "Get warm, stay warm, good night, good bye".

When were you on a cave rescue?
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jul 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Hello Warren, Dick DuMais says, “Hiâ€
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

rescued

Postby caverbill » Aug 3, 2006 8:24 am

Most spelunkers that I have helped (many have been simply help them to the entrance and not a full "rescue") have been very interested in talking about caving. Even the ones who were there from doing something really dumb have asked about learning more. One guy in particular had to call us when they lowered a friend into a 60' pit and could not pull him out (plus they dropped a rock on his unprotected head). About a month later his wife calls me to tell me he is now stuck at the bottom of a drop. When I got to the top of the pit, a friend was already putting a climbing system one him. When he heard my voice, he said, "I'm in trouble aren't I?". I said "here's the deal Jimmy, come to our training session and learn how to do this or we leave you in the pit". He became a really good vertical caver.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Re: rescued

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 3, 2006 9:01 pm

caverbill wrote: When he heard my voice, he said, "I'm in trouble aren't I?". I said "here's the deal Jimmy, come to our training session and learn how to do this or we leave you in the pit". He became a really good vertical caver.

He had good incentive.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Evan G » Aug 3, 2006 9:44 pm

Was the original question, let see:

-Give them a spanking and send them home.
-If she or he is cute, Ask she or he out to dinner?
-If they are not wearing helmets: Take your own off and smacks them with it. Then tell them that Mother Nature smacks harder.
-Demand the rest of their beer for safe passage.
-Make a video and put it on the Internet
-Make a safety video and give it to the NSS Library.
-Go home and jump in a hot tub or poach one on the way home.
-Make Margaritas for all the cavers and leave the spelunkers out. (I know it’s mean)

-Go home, pat yourself on the back, take a shower, & get some rest.

Remember: As long as there are Caves there will be spelunkers.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 4, 2006 12:14 am

I vote for this one -

Kver33 wrote:If they are not wearing helmets:
Take your own off and smack them with it. Then tell them that Mother Nature smacks harder.

:rofl: Brilliant! :bow:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

spelunkers

Postby caverbill » Aug 4, 2006 8:24 am

Don't forget the cave vandal rescue kit. Quick lime and a shovel.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 8, 2006 6:09 pm

Hmm, I'm thinking it's time for a variation on a classic song...

What do you do with a drunken spelunker,
Earlie in the morning.

Hit 'em in the head with your helmet,
Earlie in the morning.

Give him a carbide assist,
Earlie in the morning.