Cave rescue contact for SE VA/NE Tenn

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Cave rescue contact for SE VA/NE Tenn

Postby e-doc » Jun 26, 2006 8:41 pm

A few years ago I laminated a card with various phone #'s for contact in case of need for cave rescue. I placed this in my helmet. I'm going to update it. Does anybody have a # for Triangle in Roanoke or Virgina Dept Emergency Services? Other than other members of the grotto, any suggestions of contacts in this area? Feel free to e-mail me e-doc@charter.net

thanks

patrick
NSS 48315
e-doc
Infrequent Poster

Name: Patrick Craft
NSS #: 48315RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Mountain Empire

Triangle Rescue

Postby Don Feathers » Jun 26, 2006 9:29 pm

This is the number I have. 1-800-289-2337 pager # 2448

Hope this helps.
Don Feathers
Occasional Poster

Postby e-doc » Jun 26, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks Don. I've moved so you'll see even less of me. I'm trying to get Robbie to take a group into Corkscrew this summer/fall
e-doc
Infrequent Poster

Postby e-doc » Jun 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Don,

Is this Billy or Harold Crimes beeper?
e-doc
Infrequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 27, 2006 7:11 am

Just a note, in many jurisdictions the proper contact for a cave rescue is 911. That's easier to remember. :-)

Specifically, in most locations, cave rescue teams have no legal authority on their own. 911 can activate the local ICS and legal authorities who will in turn contact the cave rescue team(s) as needed.

Now, the reality is, we've all heard of bungled rescues where non-caver EMS types have tried to perform the rescue. That's an issue best addressed long before a call-out.

For example here in upstate NY, we work closely with the local Sheriff's departments and other agencies. They know in the event of a cave rescue, they're going to call us. And we know they'll take care of everything top side, including those details such as traffic control, addressing possible trespassing issues, providing food if needed, etc.

We pretty much annually run a 2-day OCR course and typically 1/3-1/2 or so of the students are agency folks. Many may never enter a cave again, but they'll at least have a clue of what's we're doing underground during an actual call-out.

Oh, one more thing to add, if you want to set up a local OCR in your area, contact your Regional NCRC Coordinator and they'll help set one up.

Many are willing to teach for food. :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby caverbill » Jul 13, 2006 7:56 am

In Virginia, the responsible agent (normally the sheriff) has jurisdiction. The person requesting assistance should ask that the sheriff or 911 operator request assistance from the Department of emergency Management, which in turn will activate state resources with MOU's for cave rescue, such as Triangle or BDSAR. When DEM issues us a mission number, we are covered under that MOU for workman comp., etc.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 13, 2006 7:10 pm

caverbill wrote:In Virginia, the responsible agent (normally the sheriff) has jurisdiction. The person requesting assistance should ask that the sheriff or 911 operator request assistance from the Department of emergency Management, which in turn will activate state resources with MOU's for cave rescue, such as Triangle or BDSAR. When DEM issues us a mission number, we are covered under that MOU for workman comp., etc.

(Can you expand MOU?)

But tht's a good point. Once the responsible agent has activated resources certain things can occur legally. For example, they can commander facilities and items, tow vehicles, etc w/o threat of legal harm. For example, let's say it's necessary to bring a 4x4 to the cave mouth and an unknown car is blocking the trail. If as a "caver" you remove it and damage it, you find your great rescue is followed up by a lawsuit from the owner. If the RA moves it (or even authorizes you to move it) you're generally protected. And protected from things like being charged with trespass, etc.

And as caverbill says, depending on your circumstances you may end up being covered by overtime,etc. (note, I'm not suggesting anyone is in rescue for the money, but let's face it, a job is a job and if you can protect yourself from being fired or even earn your keep, it's a good idea.)

Anyway, like I say, if your area has no interaction between cavers and agency folks, take the pre-emptive steps now to start a good relationship. It's well worth it.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

MOU?

Postby caverbill » Jul 14, 2006 7:28 am

In order to be recognized as a state resource, SAR groups enter into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the commonwealth of Virginia. There are standards for various types of SAR and requirements for membership on various levels (ie: team members, team leaders, incident staff), equipment, organization structure, etc.

When a responsible agent ask Va. for assistance, they respond their state resources. But, those of us who have been in cave rescue a long time, know our own resources. When Dick Graham died in Omega, the recovery was a recognized mission for Va, but the call out was limited to cavers with high technical skills from 4 states. The MOU group provided management, equipment, etc. but most of the rescuers were from the caving community. So an MOU is not a exclusive. The department of emergency management does not have to "understand" cave rescue, they active their resources and let us do our thing. Their emergency operations center is maned 24-7 so the key is getting the local RA to request state assistance as soon as possible, so we can get the appropriate resources to respond, even from other states.

I hope that helps.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Postby Tim White » Jul 14, 2006 8:02 am

Stridergdm wrote:
(Can you expand MOU?)

MOU - Memorandum of Understanding

In the context of rescue, typically a MOU establishes a general framework for cooperation and participation among the parties in the exercise of their responsibilities regarding a rescue event.
Example: The agency having jurisdiction (AHJ) such as the sheriff or rescue squad would have an MOU with a local cave rescue team.

In TAG, there are often MOU’s between cave rescue teams in adjoining counties and/or states. This allows for teams to respond, if requested by the AHJ, outside their “officialâ€
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Re: MOU?

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 14, 2006 11:36 pm

caverbill wrote:In order to be recognized as a state resource, SAR groups enter into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the commonwealth of Virginia.

Thanks. The acronym was slipping my mind, but I knew it was in there someplace :-)

caverbill wrote:The department of emergency management does not have to "understand" cave rescue, they active their resources and let us do our thing. Their emergency operations center is maned 24-7 so the key is getting the local RA to request state assistance as soon as possible, so we can get the appropriate resources to respond, even from other states.

I hope that helps.

Ayup. (And good point to about the management doesn't have to "understand" rescue. Our local sheriff does (and has been known to cave on his own :-) but basically he's gonna call us and let us do our thing. Makes working with him a pleasure.
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum