caving rescue question

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

caving rescue question

Postby wangning198914 » Mar 30, 2014 12:15 am

What do you guys think which part in caving rescue is the hardest? Is this part can be replace by robot in the rescue mission? or which part do you think is batter to use robot in caving rescue?
wangning198914
Infrequent Poster

Re: caving rescue question

Postby JSDunham » Mar 30, 2014 7:29 am

While that is an interesting question and I am by no means a rescue expert, I have a hard time imagining a part of the rescue that could be replaced by a robot with current technology. Ask yourself, could you build a robot that would replace some part of the EMT/Ambulance-based rescue process in your town? Now imagine building that robot and needing it to function in 90% humidity in the dark over variable unstable terrain with equally variable dimensions and plenty of mud.

Since I don't see any way a robot could deal with patient assessment, packaging, or transport, the only way I can imagine a robot helping would be in the initial search to locate the patient in the first place. But such a robot would have to deal with all the circumstances mentioned above, and unless it could move faster and more efficiently that cavers doing the same search, I don't see it being the most immediately relevant. Maybe someone else has more information about it, but I think the technology needs to advance before a robot will be viable for any part of the cave rescue process.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 30, 2014 9:12 am

wangning198914 wrote:What do you guys think which part in caving rescue is the hardest? Is this part can be replace by robot in the rescue mission? or which part do you think is batter to use robot in caving rescue?

The hardest part in cave rescue is communications to the surface.

This can greatly reduce the speed of a rescue.

Honestly, if I were to look for improvements it would be there.

Also, I recommend this be moved to the cave rescue forum, it's not really a vertical/on rope issue.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 19, 2014 10:27 pm

wangning198914 wrote:What do you guys think which part in caving rescue is the hardest? Is this part can be replace by robot in the rescue mission? or which part do you think is batter to use robot in caving rescue?

Wangning, this is a good question and many forum members have been eager to offer advice. However it is not necessary to be posting the same questions and answers in different places on the forum. Please continue discussion in the Communications and Electronics Section here - Cave Rescue Product Design Questions. Thanks guys.

Thanks!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum