Why we belay. Video

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Why we belay. Video

Postby dcfdrescue2 » Jul 28, 2013 8:35 am

Peru is definitely NOT the place you want to get on a highline:

http://rescue2training.com/2012/12/28/another-peruvian-highline-disaster/

One of the videos in the above link has been taken down. It was another view of the highline electrocution, with a little more footage.

Interesting to note is the anchor on the ground; it's a multipoint anchor that just has a bunch of guys holding the the rope! :yikes:
dcfdrescue2
Infrequent Poster

Re: Why we belay. Video

Postby NZcaver » Jul 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:
cavedoc wrote: Look at about second 26. You can see two lines pulling back rubberband-like after the failure.

Yeah, I'm still not convinced. I watched again, and stared at the frame from second 26 for a while. I really think what you are seeing is a cloud of dust getting snapped free from the rope when it breaks. If you look at second 26, it appears that there are three "lines" to the left of the rescuer. The lowest one is the trackline that ended up saving his bacon. The middle one is the broken trackline recoiling back. I maintain that the top "line" is a line of dust in the air. You can watch it dissipate in mid-air. I think we are looking at a single trackline failure.

For what it's worth, I agree with the grassy-knoll conspiracy theorist on this one. Looks like a single line to me. Somewhere I think I have a video showing the ""puff" of a tensioned rope breaking.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum