Stranded, but not alone

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Stranded, but not alone

Postby MudFlap » Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I want to take this opportunity to thank a few people. We (Tony Smith, Glen Hugus, Stephanie Petri and I) had a tire blow out on my camper
on I-88 about 30 minutes outside Schoharie after leaving the seminar Saturday. I don't think I had the spare tire off the bracket yet when cavers
started pulling over to lend assistance. Harold Chrimes was part of our caravan of two vehicles and had already pulled in behind the camper
with the gear van. Kelly Stills-Brooks was next, then Glenn and Rebecca Segrest followed by Kurt Waldron and his friend whose name escapes
me at this moment. We actually had to use the Porta-Power from the gear cache to move a metal piece of the floor frame that had been bent
and pulled up into the wheel well and was preventing the spare tire from clearing. Rebecca Segrest went into full instructor mode explaining
to Stephanie all about the Porta-Power as Glenn and I worked to move the bent frame member with the tool. Good job Rebecca, never let a
teaching moment slip by!!! We used a jack from Tony Smith's truck and other tools that Harold was carrying with him in the van. If there
were others there and I missed your presence in my frustration, I apologize, and thank you.

Alan Staton
MudFlap
New Poster

Name: Alan Staton
NSS #: 58584
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Blue Ridge Grotto

Re: Stranded, but not alone

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2013 10:24 pm

No need to call Triple-A... the NCRC Roadside Initial Response Task Force is on the job!! :clap:

PS - I blame Tony. It's always Tony's fault. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Stranded, but not alone

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

Wonderful story.

Sucks about the tire, but nice to know so many were there to help. And great use of the porta-power!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum